Question Can I use my SATA 3 cable to connect a new SSD without additional doings?

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Can I already have sata 3 cable connect to a newly purchased SSD without doing additional config? Is it just plug and play thing? Or can I get blue screens or even more issues and turn my entire pc unbootable only because of this? Is there anything else do I need to do after connecting the cable? OR am I going to have "plug and pray" Windows 98 type of problems? This is a quite old motherboard with a 750W with a 4th gen Intel CPU,a 1050 4GB and two sticks of RAM plus two hard drives plus SSD where Windows 10 installed.

Thank you in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
It should be as simple as plugging it to the drive and the motherboard's SATA port, no need for any drivers, though you are advised to install the app that the SSD maker's bundle/give out to make sure that the SSD has the latest firmware update on it.

Make and model of your SSD? Make and model of your motherboard? I'd also advise on making sure that the motherboard isn't pending any BIOS updates.

USAFRet

Titan
Can I already have sata 3 cable connect to a newly purchased SSD without doing additional config? Is it just plug and play thing? Or can I get blue screens or even more issues and turn my entire pc unbootable only because of this? Is there anything else do I need to do after connecting the cable? OR am I going to have "plug and pray" Windows 98 type of problems? This is a quite old motherboard with a 750W with a 4th gen Intel CPU,a 1050 4GB and two sticks of RAM plus two hard drives plus SSD where Windows 10 installed.

Thank you in advance!
Well, it needs both data and power cables.

Data connects to the motherboard, power comes off the PSU.

If this is a secondary drive, mostly plug and play.
You may need to initialize and format, but thats about it.