[SOLVED] Can I use my speakers with my AV receiver

r2t262

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
I've got an RCA 5.1 AV receiver and I want to use a set of Philips speakers on it. The speakers are 8 ohms, the left, right, surround left and right are 4 ohms and the center channel is 3 ohms. I've been reading around on other forums and as far as I can tell I can use the speakers on the 4 ohm channels but, can I use an 8 ohm speaker on the 3 ohm channel?

Solution
I've got an RCA 5.1 AV receiver and I want to use a set of Philips speakers on it. The speakers are 8 ohms, the left, right, surround left and right are 4 ohms and the center channel is 3 ohms. I've been reading around on other forums and as far as I can tell I can use the speakers on the 4 ohm channels but, can I use an 8 ohm speaker on the 3 ohm channel?
You can use a speaker with a higher ohm rating than the source. But not the other way.
You can use a speaker with a higher ohm rating than the source. But not the other way.

Solution