Can I use my ssd with Windows 7 OEM on my new mobo since my other one broke

Aug 14, 2018
I want to use my ssd on a pc that I had to replace the mobo to a new mobo since they no longer made the same one. So updated my cpu,mobo, memory. I have windows 7 on my ssd and was wondering would it still work on the new mobo because I would like to continue to use it since it works good.

Solution

Option 3:
It is highly unlikely to just 'boot up' with the new hardware.
You do not have to purchase the Win 10 license to be able to install it. It will install and run just fine, in an Unactivated state.

From some other working PC, download the Win 10 MediaCreation tool and create the Win 10 install USB or DVD, here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
$0...

USAFRet

Titan

Probably not.

OEM licenses, including Windows preinstalled on a computer before purchase and Windows bought separately, are tied to the first computer they are installed on and can not be transferred to a different computer(motherboard}.

You can call M$ at 1 (800) 642-7676 and let them know what happened. They may be able transfer the license.

Aug 14, 2018
Darn that is what I was afraid of. Anyone know a good place to buy OS windows 7 or 10? I looked online and so many places have bad reviews. I seen prices from 30 to 250 dollars. I would prefer to get a download version because I rather not wait several days for it to arrive if possible unless it's my only option.

USAFRet

Titan

Win 10, you can download the install for free, direct from Microsoft.
Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The license costs around $90-$100.
Here:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $98.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-14 22:18 EDT-0400

Aug 14, 2018
So my two options is to

1. Hope it boots up to where I can buy the license and then download Windows 10 from the link you provided and then start from fresh. Ideally.

Or

2. It does not boot up and I'll have to install Windows 10 on a USB and get the license so when I start the pc it recognizes the USB and ask me to install it and start new?

USAFRet

Titan

Option 3:
It is highly unlikely to just 'boot up' with the new hardware.
You do not have to purchase the Win 10 license to be able to install it. It will install and run just fine, in an Unactivated state.

From some other working PC, download the Win 10 MediaCreation tool and create the Win 10 install USB or DVD, here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
$0

Do a clean install of Win 10, here: How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

When it asks for the license key, Skip it. It will continue the install and off you go.
Running Win 10 unactivated works just fine, until you buy a valid license key for it.

Restrictions of an Unactivated Win 10 are - No customization of the Desktop or Taskbar, and a randomly appearing nag text at bottom right.
Other than that, it runs just fine.

Solution
Aug 14, 2018
Thank you so much for your help. ILL go with option 3. I'll prob go to walmart to get a USB since I hear windows 10 takes like 20gb. The one I have is only like 5 or 10. So that I can do what you just posted.

USAFRet

Titan

The USB to install it with needs to be 8GB or larger.
Installed on your SSD...that takes 20GB to start with.

Aug 14, 2018
Option 3 will work even if I have windows 7 right? Because I will be erasing that and getting windows 10 installation on my USB.

I may eventually buy the license I just want to first get my pc up and running making sure my pc parts run good. I'm dreading hitting that power button and nothing turns on.

That's why part of me wanted to turn it on as is to see if the pc parts are working, but I didn't want to damage anything. I'll be going to get a USb within the next 2 hours.

USAFRet

Titan

What is on the drive right now is irrelevant. You will be wiping it all out, and starting clean.