[SOLVED] Can I use NVMe SSD to a SATA adapter on legacy hardware?

Sugar Kaine Mostly

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
I have an Intel 800P 118gb NVMe SSD. I just happen to have this extra PCIe SSD and never got a chance to use it. I want to use it on my Dell M6500 so that my wife can use it with MS Office and web.

Are the NVMe to SATA adapters (2.5” enclosures) ready to use NVMe? Like backwards compatibility and read it as a normal SATA SSD? I don’t mind if it’s not limited the optimal performance. Thank you

Solution
That's a laptop. And it doesn't support M.2 drives.

And no - there are no nvme to sata adapters.
Every M.2 to sata adapter in the world is compatible with sata M.2 drives only (not compatible with nvme).

So - you can forget about using Intel 800P 118gb NVMe SSD in Dell M6500. Not going to happen.

Every M.2 to sata adapter in the world is compatible with sata M.2 drives only (not compatible with nvme).

So - you can forget about using Intel 800P 118gb NVMe SSD in Dell M6500. Not going to happen.

Solution

Sugar Kaine Mostly

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015

I see. Thank you. I guess only NGFF types to SATA are possible. I noticed that the adapters I was looking at look similar to SATA but are actually 2.5” U.2 enclosures.

Thank you.