Can I use old HDD on new build?

j0urNey__

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
I'm getting a completely new build but keeping the old HDD to save $50 and because of the 500gb of stuff i have on it. I'm keeping the OS that's on it but I'm getting a new CPU and motherboard. How would i go about using the old HDD without problems.

Notes:
1) AMD to INTEL processor switch
2) Switching motherboards but both are ASUS
3)DDR3-DDR4 RAM switch

Solution

I'm afraid so! You will most probably need a new Windows install as well due to the hardware upgrade. This alone will require you to re-install all the games and programs that you used to use on your old system. You can simply follow some of Steam's instructions on how to backup your gameplay progress. Yet again, re-install of the app itself and all other programs is inevitable.

Unfortunately, you might need to wait until your Internet connection improves but you won't be able to boot from the old Windows...
Welcome, j0urNey__!

Unfortunately, changing the motherboard and CPU will require you to buy a new genuine Windows installation as your old one won't work on the new mobo, unless it's an identical model. However, a clean install is inevitable. The operating system is tied to the motherboard, the storage drives are just carriers for the system files. Get in touch with MS support and check if you would be able to use the same installation's activation code/product key with the new mobo.

The best thing to do is back up all your data from the old HDD somewhere off-site (e.g. external drive, etc.) and then clean install Windows on it when you upgrade the hardware components. Once you have it up and running, use the external drive to copy back all your needed files onto the computer. This is how you won't encounter any problems with your old HDD.

Hope this helps! :)
Cheers,
SuperSoph_WD

j0urNey__

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016

Would I have to re-download games and game progress and programs like steam and chrome extensions. my internet connection is not the greatest so i was hoping to avvoid 2 days of downloading games from steam again.

I'm afraid so! You will most probably need a new Windows install as well due to the hardware upgrade. This alone will require you to re-install all the games and programs that you used to use on your old system. You can simply follow some of Steam's instructions on how to backup your gameplay progress. Yet again, re-install of the app itself and all other programs is inevitable.

Unfortunately, you might need to wait until your Internet connection improves but you won't be able to boot from the old Windows install onto the new motherboard and CPU and you won't be able to launch the programs/games either. :(

Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution