Can I use on port on GPU and one built in port for dual monitor setup?

egozman

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
Because one of my monitors is old and only supports vga I cant connect them both to the GPU because the adapter is so big it blocks the original DVI port, so both screens cant connect simultaneously to the GPU. So before going to the Bios and changing stuff i wanted to know if its even possible and if it is, then how do i do this

rpenri

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
I don't believe so. Correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe only 1 video adapter can be active at a time. You may be able to find a VGA extender cable that may free up space right at the ports so you can connect the vga adapter further down the cable.

Something like this 3 foot cable. You can probably get anywhere from Newegg, Amazon, maybe even RadioShack if your closest one isn't closed by now.

http://www.cableleader.com/3ft-vga-hd15-m-f14c-monitor-extension-cable.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAmOymBRD0_evS4aTh2hUSJAB7FkhyJqlN-nsbF5ehg-UUla2PGa77pf1tUfFhK7WPxxX-AhoCt6vw_wcB

egozman

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
Ive roamed all arond my bios settings and i found how to change the primary screen, but when i change it to one monitor the other shuts down, i cant seem to find a way to have them both running, so my guess is its a "pick one" situation.

rpenri

Distinguished
May 25, 2010

It's about memory addressing I surmise. I don't think Windows can utilize both adapters at the same time due to memory addressing issues.

rpenri

Distinguished
May 25, 2010

He wasn't doing multi-monitor setup...he just swapped adapters in the BIOS. The issue is that he cannot physically get two cables from the GPU to the two monitors because of the size of the adapter blocking the HDMI port.

So he thought you could do multi-monitor using the aftermarket GPU and the onboard video adapter.

TRENDING THREADS