Can i use only one slot with 8gb.?

Jul 25, 2018
I have big confusion guys plz suggest me on this.
I want to upgrade pc and i want to install 8gb ddr3 ram. Will it work..??

what will affect on my motherboard & CPU..??

Solution
It will not work as dual channel, OR, on some boards, 2GB from each module may work as dual channel while the remaining 6GB on the larger module work as single channel, but there are few boards that I'm aware of that will work in this way.

It's also possible that they may not want to work together at all if the specs are much different or even if they are exactly the same specs except for the size of the memory module.

It is always, in ALL cases, better to use two identical sticks that came together in a set and were tested at the factory to be compatible with each other. You will have much better chances of success using two or more sticks, if they came together in a set.

As for the single 8GB stick, if you do not plan to add...
Jul 25, 2018

Yes, it can work if you use the correct memory, but you would get better performance using 2x4GB as it would be running in dual channel rather than single channel. Dual channel doubles the bandwidth.

If you plan to have 16GB eventually you should do all you can to buy both 8GB modules now, in a matched set. Buying RAM in single sticks for use together is a gamble. They won't always work together. You are a lot better off and will have more success with two modules for the total amount of memory you want to use, purchased in a single kit, together.

Bottom line though, yes, you can use a single 8GB module but single 8GB modules need to be of the type using 16 cells per module according to the ASRock website.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/h77m/

Jul 25, 2018
Thank You So much Mate. Please Suggest me 8 Gb RAM which will better within 8 K.

And i have another Question.?

If i Installed 8Gb Ram and i have another 2 Gb RAm will it work as Dual channel .?
So it will hard rush on 2gb Ram..??

It will not work as dual channel, OR, on some boards, 2GB from each module may work as dual channel while the remaining 6GB on the larger module work as single channel, but there are few boards that I'm aware of that will work in this way.

It's also possible that they may not want to work together at all if the specs are much different or even if they are exactly the same specs except for the size of the memory module.

It is always, in ALL cases, better to use two identical sticks that came together in a set and were tested at the factory to be compatible with each other. You will have much better chances of success using two or more sticks, if they came together in a set.

As for the single 8GB stick, if you do not plan to add another 8GB stick later, why not just go with two 4GB sticks? It would be a better configuration.

If you must use a single stick though, I will need to know where you can purchase memory from in order to recommend products that are available to you, rather than ones that you may not have access to as in other countries.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS