Can I use out of date BIOS with CPU

wtran49

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Hey guys, I plan on buying the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition. And the motherboard, Asus M4A87TD/USB3 Socket AM3 870 ATX AMD Motherboard. I'm building a COMPLETELY new computer from scratch. But for instance like my title asks, Can I use out of date BIOS with CPU? Because I know when I set-up my whole computer and put processor in and turn the computer on for the first time, I do NOT know if it will start up with the new processor.

Like, could I even start my computer up and install windows 7 64-bit and everything fine and go to the internet and download the new bios? Or I can't at all since the BIOS doesn't recognize the CPU. If that is the case then, WOW I wish companies would make motherboards with the latest BIOS already updated in it like every month or something.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
According to the ASUS site, it's 6-Core Ready and should be recognized right out of the box. http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=nlWYrI9wlNIYHAaa&templete=2

There are 4 up-dates to the original BIOS in the download section. None of which mention anything about CPU support (which would look like this~ Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: -http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx)

I think you should be good to go, but there's always a chance? PC's can be a real PITA sometimes :whistle: LOL

It's a guess, board is supposed to support it though.
Usually, if the processor is of the same immediate family of chips, same voltage, core type, die shrink, etc, even if the BIOS does not support the processor, it will boot but have it running at the settings for something else. You could likely then accomplish what you just said, you can even go into the BIOS and manually set everything correctly if it boots, and would be running at the correct speed until you did get your new BIOS flashed. But, there are no guarantees, it's kind of a 50-50 chance if the BIOS revision does not support the processor.