Can I use PCI e X1 extender cable to use my sound card

Arunanshu

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Ok I am planning to buy a sound card (asus xonar dx/ creative sound blaster z). I have an asus H110m-K motherboard. It has one PCI e x16 slot and two PCI e x1 slot. After inserting my Gpu (Zotac Gtx 1060) now I have just only one slot left. So if I insert my sound card my fear that it will hamper cooling of the gpu. I just want to use a PCI x1 extender so that my sound card and gpu can stay at sufficient distance . I saw several of them in eBay and amazon at very low price. So my question is can I use them to extend my PCI e slot for my sound card ? Will there be any performance issue for my sound card ?

Solution
Electrically, it should work. The hard part is then mounting the sound card where it won't wobble or interfere with other components on the motherboard.

The other solution is to try using the on board sound from your motherboard. Unless you have audiophile speakers, and amplifier (and ears!) I doubt that you would hear a noticeable difference between it and the sound card. Key word here is noticeable! YMMV.

Arunanshu

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Electrically, it should work. The hard part is then mounting the sound card where it won't wobble or interfere with other components on the motherboard.

The other solution is to try using the on board sound from your motherboard. Unless you have audiophile speakers, and amplifier (and ears!) I doubt that you would hear a noticeable difference between it and the sound card. Key word here is noticeable! YMMV.

Thank you. I had an old sound card on my other pc and I am sure I can definitely capable to differentiate between onboard and sound card sound.
I think if I screw it tight with my cabinet io port there won't be any problem

The key words here are OLD SOUND CARD. The on-board sound of modern motherboards is at least as good as OLD sound cards. Also if it is really that old, there might not even be drivers available for it.

Arunanshu

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
The key words here are OLD SOUND CARD. The on-board sound of modern motherboards is at least as good as OLD sound cards. Also if it is really that old, there might not even be drivers available for it.

Ok still one more question. I have creative 5.1 t6300 speakers. Can onboard Realtek sufficient to provide surround sound???

Yes, the T6300 takes analog inputs. Your Realtek® ALC887 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC will drive 5.1 sound. Plug lime green, black and orange into the back panel audio on your ASUS MB. Your MB claims to have good audio noise isolation and it costs you $0 to try it.

If you decide that you'd like to upgradde your sound there are other options than a PCIe card. A USB attach card likely has better sound than the internal card (better noise isolation) and is very portable. Here are two examples, googling will find many others at different price points. Any less than $50 and you'd be better off with your MB sound.

Creative Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 USB Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp and Integrated Beam Forming Microphone

ASUS Xonar U7 Xonar U7 Sound Card.

Arunanshu

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Yes, the T6300 takes analog inputs. Your Realtek® ALC887 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC will drive 5.1 sound. Plug lime green, black and orange into the back panel audio on your ASUS MB. Your MB claims to have good audio noise isolation and it costs you $0 to try it.

If you decide that you'd like to upgradde your sound there are other options than a PCIe card. A USB attach card likely has better sound than the internal card (better noise isolation) and is very portable. Here are two examples, googling will find many others at different price points. Any less than $50 and you'd be better off with your MB sound.

Creative Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 USB Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp and Integrated Beam Forming Microphone

ASUS Xonar U7 Xonar U7 Sound Card.

@tsnr just notice that my mobo has one line out one line it. Will it be sufficient for 5.1 system. Means I want to say there isn't 3 line out port. Usually a sound card has atleast 3 port. So is it possible to generate true 5.1 from one line out port or it is just stereo sound which will be distributed among 5 speaker. Please clear my doubts. Now I am much more confused

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/H110M-K/E10950_H110M-K_UM_WEB_only.pdf
Look in your owner's manual, page 1-6. there should be a table that tells you what jacks to use for a 5.1 channel setup.
Basically, the connectors on the rear of the motherboard are such: the light blue connector is for the left and right rear channels. the lime is for the left and right Front channels, and the pink connector is for the center and subwoofer channels.

Solution

Arunanshu

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Finally I get it. Thank you everyone. I decide not to buy a sound card immediately. First I just want to see the result with my onboard sound then I will decide whether I need it or not