[SOLVED] Can I use secondary memory of frequency - 2666mhz, while my cpu and motherboard supports -2400 and primary ram is also 2400mhz?

May 10, 2021
My motherboard and CPU(i5 5300HQ) support 2400mhz ram. My stock ram is 8 GB 2400mhz.
Now I am planning to upgrade my ram by getting another 8 GB ram but I can't find the 2400mhz model for Hyperx Impact.
Hence I wanted to know whether I can use 2666mhz ram. Note- I don't have a problem if the new ram works at 2400mhz
System - Acer Predator Helios 300(G3-572)

Solution
Certainly DDR4 then.

Okay, download CPU-Z and see what it tells you about the memory configuration. Specifically how many memory sticks are in the system and how many slots are occupied.

You could also take the memory cover off and physically check. Both slots should be there.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure a CPU exists by that name? i5-5300U? That would be DDR3 and the laptop model supports 7th gen hardware?

So right now you have 1x8GB?

Safest would be to be buy a complete memory kit and replace everything. You might be able to mix memory, but it is often way more difficult in a laptop since the BIOS is usually limited.

You need to confirm the CPU and memory type before you buy anything.

Reactions: jeetpatel20
May 10, 2021
Not sure a CPU exists by that name? i5-5300U? That would be DDR3 and the laptop model supports 7th gen hardware?

So right now you have 1x8GB?

Safest would be to be buy a complete memory kit and replace everything. You might be able to mix memory, but it is often way more difficult in a laptop since the BIOS is usually limited.

You need to confirm the CPU and memory type before you buy anything.

Omg! I'm so sorry. It's i5-7300HQ

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Certainly DDR4 then.

Okay, download CPU-Z and see what it tells you about the memory configuration. Specifically how many memory sticks are in the system and how many slots are occupied.

You could also take the memory cover off and physically check. Both slots should be there.

Solution
May 10, 2021
Certainly DDR4 then.

Yeah, it does have 2 slots and only 1 slot is being used 1x8GB.
qxHlZxf.png

Vxm88ym.png

Hence I wanted to know whether I can use 2666mhz ram. Note- I don't have a problem if the new ram works at 2400mhz
System - Acer Predator Helios 300(G3-572)
For best memory compatibility get 2x 8GB SODIMM DDR4 kit instead.
In some rare situations separately bought modules may not play nice together.

Of course, you can risk it and with high chance it will work just fine. Unfortunately, you can know that only after you have tried it.

And yes, you can use DDR4 2666mhz modules. And yes - they will work at 2400mhz mode max.