[SOLVED] can i use single fan on dual fan cpu heatsink?

lastwood79

Honorable
Apr 16, 2018
i have an Enermax ETS-T40-TB dual fan cooler , i bought it in 2015 but today one of those fans died..should i buy a new one to replace it? or is it just fine to run with single fan? or i should replace both fan ? because those fans has been running for 6 years

also i realize i need to replace the thermal paste but i dont have thermal paste around so i decide to buy some but i have no idea which one should i buy ?
I plan to buy Noctua NT-H1, is it too overkill for my old computer? I just want long-lasting thermal paste so i dont have to re-apply periodically.

spec:
-i5 4460 haswell refresh
-msi h97m e35
-2x4gb ram
-gtx960 palit super Jetstream 2gb
-coolermaster masterwatt 500w bronze

Solution
should i buy a new one to replace it? or is it just fine to run with single fan?

It's not essential, but you might find your temperatures have an impact. Ideally if you are going to have 1 fan you want to rearrange it so that it is facing into the case and pushing air over the heatsink. You can always run it and monitor temps, if they are getting high, you need the second fan.

dont have thermal paste around so i decide to buy new one but i have no idea which one should i buy
In short, in really doesn't matter that much. Unless your going real high end enthusiast like liquid metals, any thermal paste from a reasonable brand will be fine. The differences are minimal, often negligible.

i planning to buy...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
should i buy a new one to replace it? or is it just fine to run with single fan?

It's not essential, but you might find your temperatures have an impact. Ideally if you are going to have 1 fan you want to rearrange it so that it is facing into the case and pushing air over the heatsink. You can always run it and monitor temps, if they are getting high, you need the second fan.

dont have thermal paste around so i decide to buy new one but i have no idea which one should i buy
In short, in really doesn't matter that much. Unless your going real high end enthusiast like liquid metals, any thermal paste from a reasonable brand will be fine. The differences are minimal, often negligible.

i planning to buy noctua nt-h1 is it too overkill to my old computer?
No cooling solution is really overkill. If you want better or quieter cooling, you can never go wrong with a cooling upgrade. Just make sure it is compatible with your motherboard socket, and then many modern fans are cross compatible with other sockets for future upgrades too.

i just want long lasting thermal paste so i dont have to reapply periodically
That's not entirely how it works. Better thermal paste doesn't necessarily mean you apply it less. Point is, if you start encountering thermal issues, it's a good idea to replace the thermal paste and check your cooling, regardless as to the quality of it.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution