[SOLVED] Can I use SSD 128GB with no HDD only for windows?

GamegangsterBG

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Can I use SSD 128GB with no HDD only for windows? Because I have an WD Elements Portable 2TB and I want to use it for programs and the SSD just for windows without HDD can I do it? And can you tell me if the Silicon Power Slim S55 120GB SSD will work for desktop pc with Motherboard Asrock B365M Pro4?

Solution
Running Windows on SSD will work fine with programs on the external drive, it may be slower as external but will still work. Silicon Power Slim S55 120GB SSD is 2.5" size but has normal sata power and data connections so it will also work.

Only issue you may have is some programs may get confused about the external storage, like if you want to run games from it something like Steam (if it runs with the external not plugged it) will drop the external hard drive from it's other library folders and ask you to install the game again, but going in and adding it again will add the games back.

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
Running Windows on SSD will work fine with programs on the external drive, it may be slower as external but will still work. Silicon Power Slim S55 120GB SSD is 2.5" size but has normal sata power and data connections so it will also work.

Only issue you may have is some programs may get confused about the external storage, like if you want to run games from it something like Steam (if it runs with the external not plugged it) will drop the external hard drive from it's other library folders and ask you to install the game again, but going in and adding it again will add the games back.

Reactions: GamegangsterBG
Solution

GamegangsterBG

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019

Thank you so much!