[SOLVED] can i use the cpu fan pwm header on my motherboard for a chassis fan instead?

Dec 25, 2020
so i have an Fatal1ty X99X Killer/3.1 motherboard. and on it i have 2 PWM headers. and only 2. i have a cooler for my cpu but its 3 pin so i utilize the 3pin plug for it. which leaves my 4pin open. and i was wondering if using this for a chassis pwm fan will work properly or would it still read it as the cpu fan? the other pwm header is all the way at the bottom of my motherboard and being used with a 1 to 2 splitter for my front fans and i want to upgrade my top fans. so id like to mimic the bottom header. reason id prefer to use 2 seperate headers is to hopefully have better airflow and control. i know using a splitter means that all fans sharing the same header will opperate off the same signals. and would rather not take a single header from 2 to 4 fans if i can help it. i am aware i can plug them into my 3pin headers but would lose the advantages of a pwm.

thoughts?

[user manual for motherboard]
https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Fatal1ty X99X Killer3.1.pdf

Solution
so i have an Fatal1ty X99X Killer/3.1 motherboard. and on it i have 2 PWM headers. and only 2. i have a cooler for my cpu but its 3 pin so i utilize the 3pin plug for it. which leaves my 4pin open. and i was wondering if using this for a chassis pwm fan will work properly or would it still read it as the cpu fan? the other pwm header is all the way at the bottom of my motherboard and being used with a 1 to 2 splitter for my front fans and i want to upgrade my top fans. so id like to mimic the bottom header. reason id prefer to use 2 seperate headers is to hopefully have better airflow and control. i know using a splitter means that all fans sharing the same header will opperate off the same signals. and would rather not take a...
so i have an Fatal1ty X99X Killer/3.1 motherboard. and on it i have 2 PWM headers. and only 2. i have a cooler for my cpu but its 3 pin so i utilize the 3pin plug for it. which leaves my 4pin open. and i was wondering if using this for a chassis pwm fan will work properly or would it still read it as the cpu fan? the other pwm header is all the way at the bottom of my motherboard and being used with a 1 to 2 splitter for my front fans and i want to upgrade my top fans. so id like to mimic the bottom header. reason id prefer to use 2 seperate headers is to hopefully have better airflow and control. i know using a splitter means that all fans sharing the same header will opperate off the same signals. and would rather not take a single header from 2 to 4 fans if i can help it. i am aware i can plug them into my 3pin headers but would lose the advantages of a pwm.

thoughts?

[user manual for motherboard]
https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Fatal1ty X99X Killer3.1.pdf
CPU fans are no different than chassis or other fans, they plug in same headers. 3 pin fans are compatible with 4pin headers and some/most 4pin fans would work in 3 pin headers but PWM will not be available, only voltage adjustments for rpm regulation.
To switch from one to other type of RPM regulation, do it in BIOS for appropriate control, PWM or voltage.
For CPU_FAN header use only CPU fan(s), RPM needs to be regulated by CPU temperature.

Solution
Dec 25, 2020
CPU fans are no different than chassis or other fans, they plug in same headers. 3 pin fans are compatible with 4pin headers and some/most 4pin fans would work in 3 pin headers but PWM will not be available, only voltage adjustments for rpm regulation.
To switch from one to other type of RPM regulation, do it in BIOS for appropriate control, PWM or voltage.
For CPU_FAN header use only CPU fan(s), RPM needs to be regulated by CPU temperature.
thank you i was just concerned since the 3 pin header is what my AIO is using. wasnt sure if it would conflicting using both headers at the same time.

thank you just needed some outside affirmation that i wasnt an idiot hahaha.

Dec 25, 2020
lol well based on your profile im gonna take it and run. hahaha! i feel im always learning stuff about my computer. hell i just noticed i have a type-c plug on my IO and have no idea why you would put a type C input on a motherboard >.>;