Can i use the i7-2700k stock cooler on my new i7-7700k?

Solution
johannkl.norge,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

As alexoiu has pointed out, Intel's stock cooler for the i7 2700K is compatible with any socket 115x motherboard, as the push-pin attachment patterns are identical.

Also, here's the Thermal Design Power (TDP) specifications which are expressed in Watts:

95 Watts TDP - i7 2700K
95 Watts TDP - Intel universal cooler, boxed (E97378-001).

91 Watts TDP - i7 7700K
130 Watts TDP - Intel specified cooler, sold separately (BXTS15A).

Intel's specified "stock" cooler for the i7 6700K, 7700K and 8700K is 130 Watts TDP, which is sold separately. The 95 Watt cooler and the 130 Watt cooler are both shown here - Intel Stock Coolers -...

Wouldn't recommend it since a stock cooler can barely keep i5's from overheating. Also it's a different socket and the cooler won't fit.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
johannkl.norge,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

As alexoiu has pointed out, Intel's stock cooler for the i7 2700K is compatible with any socket 115x motherboard, as the push-pin attachment patterns are identical.

Also, here's the Thermal Design Power (TDP) specifications which are expressed in Watts:

95 Watts TDP - i7 2700K
95 Watts TDP - Intel universal cooler, boxed (E97378-001).

91 Watts TDP - i7 7700K
130 Watts TDP - Intel specified cooler, sold separately (BXTS15A).

Intel's specified "stock" cooler for the i7 6700K, 7700K and 8700K is 130 Watts TDP, which is sold separately. The 95 Watt cooler and the 130 Watt cooler are both shown here - Intel Stock Coolers - http://www.anandtech.com/show/10500/stock-cooler-roundup-intel-amd-vs-evo-212/3

The difference in processor TDP of only 4 Watts offers no measurable advantage, as the 7700K has a much higher Base Clock and Turbo Clock (4.2GHz - 4.5GHz) than the 2700K (3.5GHz - 3.9GHz). Further, the 2700K has a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS), whereas the 7700K instead uses Thermal Compound, which has much lower thermal conductivity, thus causing the 7700K to run at higher temperatures.

jaslion made a valid point where he said Intel's cooler "can barely keep an i5 from overheating". Consequently, at your earliest opportunity, I would suggest that you upgrade to a quality, high TDP aftermarket cooler.

Here's the operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C aren't recommended.

Core temperatures increase and decrease with Ambient temperature.

Idle temperatures below 25°C are generally due to Ambient temperatures below 22°C. Normal or "Standard" Ambient temperature is 22°C or 72°F.

Highest Core temperatures occur during stress tests, rendering or transcoding, but are lower during less processor intensive workloads such as applications and gaming. Core temperatures can vary greatly among games due to differences between CPU and GPU workloads.

"Stickies" are located at the top of all our Forums. Here's one near the top of the CPUs Forum you might want to read: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

Solution