Question Can i use the other 8pin pcie cable that branches out from the main cable?

vmarc41

Prominent
Mar 8, 2018
Sorry for newb question. My pc has no graphics card yet, im still waiting for it to arrive. My pc was built by someone from the store from which i bought my pc. Cable management isn't good so my 2x 6+2 pin power connectors have limited length. Realistically, the "main" connectors won't reach my gpu, but the other 6+2 (the one that branches out from the main cable) probably will. Is it fine to power the gpu with the other one? There will be no issues?

Lutfij

Titan
What GPU are you looking at and what is the make and model of your PSU? On second thoughts, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Then host an image of your cases cable management and parse the link here for us to see(and advise).

vmarc41

Prominent
Mar 8, 2018
What GPU are you looking at and what is the make and model of your PSU? On second thoughts, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Then host an image of your cases cable management and parse the link here for us to see(and advise).

Ryzen 5 2400g
Gigabyte B450m ds3h
240gb Sandisk SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda
Asus Expedition RX570
Cooler Master MWE 500 80+
Rakk Hawani Case

I know my psu isn't spectacular but it should be fine, right? Especially since i don't plan on gaming for more than 6 hours straight because studies. I'm just wondering if the other 6+2 pin which branches from the main one would be fine.

These are the pictures. I haven't taken a picture of the cables under the psu shroud.
View: https://imgur.com/a/H728SCE

. I'm just wondering if the other 6+2 pin which branches from the main one would be fine.

You only need to plug in the PCI-E/PEG cables to the GPU, from the PSU. Are those PCI-E connectors ? I'm assuming your current PSU has TWO PCI-E 6+2 PIN CONNECTORS, right ?

If yes, then you can safely use the other PCI-E cable, 6+2 PIN that is. Does your GPU require only a SINGLE 8-pin cable, to power it up ?

pcie.jpg

Last edited:

vmarc41

Prominent
Mar 8, 2018
You only need to plug in the PCI-E/PEG cables to the GPU, from the PSU. Are those PCI-E connectors ? I'm assuming your current PSU has TWO PCI-E 6+2 PIN CONNECTORS, right ?

If yes, then you can safely use the other PCI-E cable, 6+2 PIN that is.

Yes. Like i said in the previous messages, im just wondering if using the other one is fine or if its better if i use the main one first. Thanks!