[SOLVED] Can I use the "reset windows" option to reinstall windows onto a new motherboard?

Sep 3, 2019
So im abit confused as i cant find an answer about this. Windows 10 has the option to completely reset and start fresh, which leads you to set up windows again. Found in the recovery settings.

Can i use this option to reset windows and then move the boot drive on to a new motherboard and set it up again?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
You are confusing Reset and Refresh, the latter of which is contained in the Settings, Update & Security, Recovery Pane, Learn how to start fresh with a clean installation of Windows link, which then triggers Windows Security to complete the Refresh.

Based on Microsoft's own description the Fresh Start/Refresh option should do a completely clean reinstallation of Windows, keeping only your user data files and a few, select, Windows settings but wiping everything else.

I've never tried this to accomplish a completely (or very, very nearly completely) clean reinstall. I wouldn't hesitate to try it, though, if you're curious. You could report back then if it did work.

Just make sure that you've associated your Windows 10 license with your Microsoft Account first: MS Support Article: Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

The worst you'd do is waste a bit of time. You can always do a completely clean reinstall if a Fresh Start doesn't work:
Doing a completely clean reinstall (options a & b are downloadable PDF files):
a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File
b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive
c) How to do a CLEAN Installation of Windows 10 (Tom’s Hardware Forums, with screen shots)

TRENDING THREADS