Question Can I use the same Pin connector of the GTX 1080TI with the RTX 3080?

flightoftherat

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
Hello community:

To my surprise, the RTX 3080 Founders edition uses 2 pin less than the GTX 1080 TI. We are talking about the Founders Edition in both cases. How so?

Can I use the same pin connector? Just like that? I would have to leave 2 pins out:

IMG-1568.jpg
IMG-1569.jpg
IMG-1567.jpg

What do you think?

kanewolf

Titan
Hello community:

To my surprise, the RTX 3080 Founders edition uses 2 pin less than the GTX 1080 TI. We are talking about the Founders Edition in both cases. How so?

Can I use the same pin connector? Just like that? I would have to leave 2 pins out:

IMG-1568.jpg
IMG-1569.jpg
IMG-1567.jpg

What do you think?
The 12 pin connector REQUIRES an adapter -- https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-G...t-it-may-be-an-NVIDIA-exclusive.492511.0.html

For example -- https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Sleeved-Extension-Connector-GEFORCE/dp/B08MWKLWZQ?th=1

flightoftherat

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
Gosh, another adaptor! Wasn't expecting this. Well, firs off thank you so much, you even put the link. (y)

So, afaik, with this adaptor, one end goes to the 3080 and the other to my 1080TI pins as seen in the pictures? Will I have some voltage or compatibility issue? As I use a small factor case, the FE are the only ones I can use.

kanewolf

Titan
Gosh, another adaptor! Wasn't expecting this. Well, firs off thank you so much, you even put the link. (y)

So, afaik, with this adaptor, one end goes to the 3080 and the other to my 1080TI pins as seen in the pictures? Will I have some voltage or compatibility issue? As I use a small factor case, the FE are the only ones I can use.
Yes, the link I posted with the adapter go from standard 8 pin PCIe (two of them) to the graphics card. Since you have fancy sleeved cables, you may be able to get a cable from wherever you got your existing cables that has the proper plug.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Having a sff/mITX and the size of that 3080, it's most likely better to forget about the sleeved cables you already own, plus additional adapter and get a 12pin that fits your psu from places like CableMod. That's going to be far easier overall with cable management, plus gives you the sleeved option at the gpu. It'll be a single wire direct hookup.

Reactions: Vic 40