Question Can I use the same thermal paste when changing CPU?

Lewisss

Commendable
Jun 22, 2017
I currently have the Kraken X61 cooler and was wondering what's the best option when installing my new CPU in regards to thermal paste. When I first got this cooler and processor I used the pre-applied paste which I've had no temperature issues with.

Should I:

1. Just use the paste that is still on the cooler

2. Apply new paste on to the CPU as well as keeping the existing paste on the cooler

3. Remove the paste from the cooler and apply the new paste

Apologies for any spelling or grammar, typing this on my phone on the go!

Soul Sojourner

Prominent
Oct 30, 2019
I recommend that you always use fresh paste every time. Completely clean off all traces of the paste from any surface it was on. If you have it, use something like Arctic Silver thermal paste remover and surface polisher, otherwise, just use the highest grade isopropyl alcohol you have. The higher the better. I typically use a cotton swap to start, getting the bulk of it off, and then use a lint free or microfiber cloth after the bulk of it is off to polish off the rest.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is a new favorite for me as it is highly rated as one of the best thermal pastes and non-conductive and non-capacitative.

And never mix old paste with new paste or mix different types of paste. You may get results that work, but this is your computer, do things right/thorough for best results.