[SOLVED] Can I use the switch to bypass my access point 10/100 lan conections

May 5, 2020
I have 2 Router old(300Mbps) and a newer one(300+867Mbps) + modem/router(modem for the future reference). My ISP provider is providing 250/10 Mbps connection, however modem access point is weak and offers only speeds about 70/10 Mbps. I would like to use my two router as access points, but they have only 10/100 lan/wlan ports. I was wandering if it is possible to use a switch to connect ethernet cable from modem to a gigabite switch and than two cables from switch to router to make it 200/10? and also 2 cable from modem to router for the second one ? I guess that the answer is no, but it does not hurt to ask. Thanks in advance.

Solution
You have to be careful about using the word "combine". Taking a more simple example if you plugged 2 pc directly into the main router and let say the pc are old and only have 10/100 ports. Each pc can only get up to 100mbps. But you can run 2 pc at the same time each getting a 100mbps for a total of 200mbps.

If you were to plug you AP into the main router and then carefully allocate your end devices to the AP using different SSID you could use the full potential of your connection. BUT no device would individually be able to have more than 100mbps.

Note even if you use link aggregation because of how it does path selection it has the same issue. You can not get a single file transfer to use more than 1 link it would...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it is possible and very common thing to do in networking. however both sides of the connection have to support it.

it's called link aggregation. not sure i've seen any isp modems support this though i have not looked for it specifically.

i'd get a better modem with a nice gb port to avoid all this if possible. your isp may not have one but most likely you can get a 3rd party one that will work.

Reactions: Muri470
May 5, 2020
it is possible and very common thing to do in networking. however both sides of the connection have to support it.

it's called link aggregation. not sure i've seen any isp modems support this though i have not looked for it specifically.

i'd get a better modem with a nice gb port to avoid all this if possible. your isp may not have one but most likely you can get a 3rd party one that will work.
Thanks for the answer, however I am not sure if we have understand each other correctly. The modem( i agree that it still has to be changed, and already spoken to my isp provider) has gigabits ports, but the router does not( if i plug my PC directly to the the modem(it has a router so it is not a security treat) i can get 250/10 connection, but my family uses mostly wireless device and i can not get this speed on wireless even if the newer router should be able to mage them- the bottleneck are the 10/100 ports on the router. I will look into link aggregation.
Thanks again.

May 5, 2020
Your routers would still bottleneck the connection unless they have gigabit on the lan ports. If they do, then you can use the two routers as just access points and should be able to get better speeds.
That was exactly the question if i can combine 2 or 3 lan 10/100 ports into one an have an equivalent 10/200 port. As math geek said it would be with link aggregation if my routher support it(unfortunatly it does not)

You have to be careful about using the word "combine". Taking a more simple example if you plugged 2 pc directly into the main router and let say the pc are old and only have 10/100 ports. Each pc can only get up to 100mbps. But you can run 2 pc at the same time each getting a 100mbps for a total of 200mbps.

If you were to plug you AP into the main router and then carefully allocate your end devices to the AP using different SSID you could use the full potential of your connection. BUT no device would individually be able to have more than 100mbps.

Note even if you use link aggregation because of how it does path selection it has the same issue. You can not get a single file transfer to use more than 1 link it would still be limited to 100mbps.

Reactions: SamirD and Muri470
Solution
May 5, 2020

Note even if you use link aggregation because of how it does path selection it has the same issue. You can not get a single file transfer to use more than 1 link it would still be limited to 100mbps.
Thanks, that is good to know. I was trying to achieve exactly that, both access points at 200/10 (modem connected to them by two cables ( i have cables already).

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if the modem gives full speed and has gb ports, then a new router seems to be the solution for you.

you'll want a router that can handle the wireless side of it as that seems to be your issues and not physical ports. a quality ac router with at least 750 mb/s on the wifi side would be ample to ensure the devices can get their speed.

however, do consider that all devices won't get that full speed. they will all be sharing that single 250 mb connection. so anyone can use all the speed for themselves if they are not careful. while looking at various wireless routers some basic QoS and/or traffic shaping might come in handy if anyone does go nuts on the bandwidth once they can get some speed. :)

That was exactly the question if i can combine 2 or 3 lan 10/100 ports into one an have an equivalent 10/200 port. As math geek said it would be with link aggregation if my routher support it(unfortunatly it does not)
No you cannot do this. If all your router ports are 10/100 then that is the max they will do. If you connect multiple connections between the equipment you'll have a network loop and a packet storm that will occupy the entire network until you remove the loop.

bill001g did a good job on laying out how you could potentially utilize all your Internet bandwidth using the equipment you already have. :)