[SOLVED] Can I use the white spacers noctua gives me for Ryzen?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

The grey spacers are apparently the source of me struggling to get the screws on my NH-D15 to thread on AM4.

The white spacers are intended for AM3 and such, but I tested them out, and they threaded INSTANTLY. On the grey spacers I had to push down on the cooler and struggle a lot to even get one screw in. Then I could barely get the other one in.

Will there be thermal problems if I use the white spacers? The cooler is flat against the CPU and the heatsink doesn't budge.

D

Deleted member 2720853

The white ones won't allow you to get the proper tension on the cooler when it comes into contact with the CPU. This will lower cooling efficiency. You really need to use the proper spacers.
But I can barely install the cooler with the gray ones

I don't think I should be struggling with it that much? I followed everything by the manual and it's still hard to install.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It takes some pressure to secure them properly. I am sitting next to 2 AM4 systems, using Noctua heatsinks, with the proper spacers so I am familiar with the mounting mechanism.

You should only start a screw and then move to the opposite side (criss-cross pattern). After getting all four started, you start tightening them, a bit at a time, until you hit the stops on each screw.

D

Deleted member 2720853

It takes some pressure to secure them properly. I am sitting next to 2 AM4 systems, using Noctua heatsinks, with the proper spacers so I am familiar with the mounting mechanism.

You should only start a screw and then move to the opposite side (criss-cross pattern). After getting all four started, you start tightening them, a bit at a time, until you hit the stops on each screw.
Don't get me wrong I managed to install it twice so far until I had to get a board replacement, and every time it gave me a hard time. But alright I'll try again.

Another question, how do I know when to stop tightening? I kept tightening forever and the screws just wouldn't stop. Are they supposed to go all the way through?

D

Deleted member 2720853

The mounting screws have "stops" on them. They should only go so far.
Last time I installed it, i stopped when I heard the springs creak as I thought i am overtightening it. is that bad and should i screw it all the way in?

D

Deleted member 2720853

Go until they stop.
Hello, spent the entire day building this thing. I see what I did wrong. It installed the cooler in less than 3 minutes this time. For some reason I didn't notice it started threading and kept going until the screw was already halfway in the last time. And that's why I had trouble with the second one.

This time, I only did one turn on a screw and the other one also threaded instantly. I was able to tighten the cooler completely until the screws stopped on each screw, 3 turns at a time.

My temps went down significantly namely AIDA64 from 90C to 75C max. And the cooler doesn't sag anymore.

Thanks for your advice, i wouldve never been able to screw it completely because i chickened out when i heard the springs creak.