[SOLVED] Can i use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut with 9900k ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raccooninboots

Reputable
Sep 29, 2020
Can i use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut with 9900k and kraken x72 ? I know that it is used mainly under IHS but I'm not delidding my cpu and was wondering if it will harm either cpu or cooler if i use it. i don't mind leaving a stain

Solution
Selenium based liquid metals change the composition of the IHS and base, it's kinda like they weld themselves into the IHS and base and overtime the nickle is no longer nickle but selenium. Under the IHS is no worries, just makes for better conductivity, but there's Intel code etched to the surface of the and that will be destroyed, invalidating any warranty Intel offers.

Metal on top just isn't worth it. Stick with the Kryonaut.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Selenium based liquid metals change the composition of the IHS and base, it's kinda like they weld themselves into the IHS and base and overtime the nickle is no longer nickle but selenium. Under the IHS is no worries, just makes for better conductivity, but there's Intel code etched to the surface of the and that will be destroyed, invalidating any warranty Intel offers.

Metal on top just isn't worth it. Stick with the Kryonaut.

Solution

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Thermal Grizzly has a newer Kryonaut product which is named "Extreme". For comparison, here’s a short list of Thermal Interface Material (TIM) in order of thermal conductivity:

IHS to Cooler - Paste

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme ... 14.2 W/mk
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut ........................12.5 W/mk
Arctic Silver 5 .................................................. 9.0 W/mk
Arctic Cooling MX4 ...................................... 8.5 W/mk
Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme ...................... 8.5 W/mk​

CT :sol:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
And yet strangely enough AS5 is a pretty mediocre paste, the MX4 is somewhat better, the Gelid is considerably better, according to Tom's listing, and my own personal experience, which beggars the question, just how reliable IS the claims on thermal paste thermal conductivity? Especially when so many pastes are all around the same 8-9 W/mk and here comes TGK at over 12 W/mk and yet not a commensurate jump in temps comparatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS