Question Can I use these "old" SSDs (and maybe more) on new build?

jimox1999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2016
Hi all, this is very preliminary but I want to replace my 7 year old pc which is used for gaming, Photoshop/Lightroom and internet browsing, details below -

CPU - Intel i5-6500 3.2Ghz

GPU Asus Nvidia GTX1060 6GB Strix

MOBO – Asus Z-170K

Memory – 2 x 8 gigs of Crucial Ballistic DDR4 PC4-21300

PSU – EVGA Supernova gold 550W

Case – Corsair Carbide 100R Mid Tower ATX.

Storage – Samsung 2.5” 850 EVO 250GB SATA 3 - for Win 10

Crucial MX500 1TB SATA 3 For everything else.

Monitor – Dell S2716DG 27” 2560 x 1440 144 Hz, Nvidia G-Sync

Budget for the new build is £1500 -£1700 UK, and i will be buying mostly from Scan Computers which is local to me in North Manchester,UK.iits early doors yet but I’ve started to source parts etc, so far I’ve only decided on the following:-

CPU Intel I5 13600k

GPU RTX 3060 TI - No brand yet as budget depends on the answer to questions below.

Case - use my Mid tower ATX,?

cpu fan, and PSU
not decide on yet

MOBO – Probably a MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk – I need WiFi

Memory – maybe 2 x 16mb of DDR5 Corsair Vengeance.

Storage – Hoping to use my 2 SSDs if poss.

OS - Windows 11 home

Monitor – using existing one.

So two questions:-

1. Will the 2 SSDs, and the case be ok or should I upgrade ?,(Im not a fan of cases with the fans expelling air out of the top)

2. If I get a 3 fan RTX 3060 TI do I need an additional cooler for it?

Other info – not interested in overclocking or rgb lights and fans.

All answers appreciated thanks.
ps if theres big gaps between the text lines then Libra Office is playing up.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would advise you to purchase a new NVMe boot drive at least.

You can re-use your old PSU with that hardware, your old GPU was also 200W. Since you won't be overclocking, things should be okay.

Chassis will be fine, just double check the GPU length.

The GPU can mostly take care of itself as long as you have enough airflow to get rid of its heat output.

Thermalright is still trying to put everyone else out of business, so not much better than this for the money:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hY...ssasin-120-se-6617-cfm-cpu-cooler-pa120-se-d3

Dec 3, 2022
  1. Your existing SSDs and case should be fine for your new build. The SSDs are relatively new and should still be in good working condition, and the case should also be able to accommodate the new components.
  2. It is not typically necessary to get an additional cooler for a 3-fan RTX 3060 TI. The graphics card should come with its own cooling system that should be sufficient for most gaming and other applications. However, if you plan on doing heavy overclocking or running the graphics card at high load for extended periods of time, you may want to consider getting an additional cooler.
Overall, it looks like you have a good plan for your new build. The Intel Core i5-11600K and RTX 3060 TI should be more than sufficient for gaming, Photoshop/Lightroom, and internet browsing. You may want to consider getting a higher wattage power supply (PSU) to accommodate the new components, especially if you plan on adding any additional hardware in the future. You can find a list of compatible power supplies for your motherboard on the manufacturer's website.
I hope this helps!

jimox1999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2016
Thanks for the prompt advice. I will likely go for the a new psu and the suggested cpu cooler.
PS does anyone know of pc that uses NO electric as just after I posted this thread bloody Scottish Power emailed to say they were putting my energy bill up by 30%! 2 weeks after reducing it!

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the prompt advice. I will likely go for the a new psu and the suggested cpu cooler.
PS does anyone know of pc that uses NO electric as just after I posted this thread bloody Scottish Power emailed to say they were putting my energy bill up by 30%! 2 weeks after reducing it!
"No" electricity is impossible.

But in the grand scheme of things, a PC is one of the smaller consumers in the house.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can power limit the CPU and GPU to save a little power, but we are talking like 300W to maybe 200W if you want to keep most of the performance. Plus your monitor's power consumption.

If we call it 500W. And you are charged by the kWh, then for every two hours of playing on it, that will be your bill.

So even an obsessive gamer who runs 16 hours a day will get charged an extra 8kWh. At current 17p that would be 40 pounds a month, or 53 pounds if it goes up 30%.

One less AAA video game you can buy a month.

Latest posts