Can I use these speakers on my PC?

viktory36

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
We have these speakers from this stereo system that we haven't touched in over three years. Is there any way I can use the speakers from this stereo on my pc?
Here's the pics-
http://imgur.com/WB18IfA,a7NrnIM,6lHXMmI
The four red and black wires connect to the bottom side of the stereo. They're wire ends that have been plugged into it.

Sorry for the dust, like I said we haven't touched it in 3 years.

Connectivity isn't the problem, that can be overcome with various adapters, the problem is the lack of an amplifier.

Hi-Fi speakers from a stereo system need an amplifier, and that's built in to your stereo system. When you plug those speakers in to your stereo system, you are actually plugging them in to an amplifier.

The sound card on your PC does not have an amplifier, therefore the audio signal will be too weak to drive those big speakers.

So you need to buy a PC speaker system to use on a computer. The amplifier is built in to the speaker units themselves and is powered by the supplied cable/adapter which you plug in to a electrical wall-socket.

He has a receiver, thats how it gets its power. not from the computer. OP im using an almost identical setup, ill PM you a pic if you need. I use an adapter like this in one of my various OUTPUT channels (DVD, TV, CD, Radio etc). http://www.amazon.com/3-5MM-Stereo-Cables-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000HSEQH8

the reb/black goes into my receiver (silver box with the speakers connected to it) and the 3.5mm end goes into my motherboard audio jack.

Solution

viktory36

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Thanks for the replies.
Phillip, I won't be able to buy any new speaker system. I can only afford those cheap adapters.
Beezy, so basically you're hooking up the whole system to the pc?
I could do that too. Could you please find a link to an adapter that would work with my stereo on flipkart.com? I cant buy from any other website.
Thanks!

no i was mistaken we dont have similar set ups. I thought you were connected to a receiver, but thats the sub. I think there should be an audio out where you can connect to, and the other end to the PC (link is in my original post). I cant say for sure though, i need picture straight on the back panel so i can read it all.

What i have is a pioneer receiver. Speakers____receier____PC