[SOLVED] Can I use this cable for Ethernet?

Geekwon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2015
Hi all,

I am hard-wiring some security cameras in my home. The house has cat5e in every room, but I want to run these cameras in the attic where there is no existing wiring. I do not want to run the cameras over wireless.

So I found two runs from the basement to the attic (cable picture attached). It appears to be 18 gauge wire fire-rated with 8 solid shielded wires, most likely to control thermostat for future expansion. https://hvacsurplus.com/products/honeywell-18-8-thermostat-wire (it is something like this cable and reads as follows SUN RES CL2 OR MP OR CM OR FPL 18 (UL)

The question is, can I use this for Ethernet communications? Plug one end into my router and the other into a managed switch. From the switch I will run cat6e POE to the devices. The cable is not twisted pair so perhaps there's an EMI issue, and the wire is thicker than cat5e or cat6e so maybe the rj45 connector will not fit?

I can try this but want to be sure before I go through the trouble. Snaking cable through walls through 4 floors isn't really an option.

thanks in advance
GeekWon

Solution
If it was very short you might get 10mbps if you are lucky but it appears you have a very long cable which means it needs to meet standards to make ethernet work.

All depends on what is on the far end. You talk about PoE so I assume you do not have ac power ?

There are devices sometime called ethernet "extenders". These devices are all proprietary things so there is no common name I think. Most are some form of DSL. They are designed to be carried telephone wires so the wires you have would work. The ones that run on telephone wires can go many kilometers.

There are other solution I have seen used to carry security cameras but those were not IP type of cameras they were proprietary units.

The issue would be how do...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,

I am hard-wiring some security cameras in my home. The house has cat5e in every room, but I want to run these cameras in the attic where there is no existing wiring. I do not want to run the cameras over wireless.

So I found two runs from the basement to the attic (cable picture attached). It appears to be 18 gauge wire fire-rated with 8 solid shielded wires, most likely to control thermostat for future expansion. https://hvacsurplus.com/products/honeywell-18-8-thermostat-wire (it is something like this cable and reads as follows SUN RES CL2 OR MP OR CM OR FPL 18 (UL)

The question is, can I use this for Ethernet communications? Plug one end into my router and the other into a managed switch. From the switch I will run cat6e POE to the devices. The cable is not twisted pair so perhaps there's an EMI issue, and the wire is thicker than cat5e or cat6e so maybe the rj45 connector will not fit?

I can try this but want to be sure before I go through the trouble. Snaking cable through walls through 4 floors isn't really an option.

thanks in advance
GeekWon
It is not twisted at all. I don't think it will work. And 18 GA wire wont go into an RJ45.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
"The cable is not twisted pair so perhaps there's an EMI issue, and the wire is thicker than cat5e or cat6e so maybe the rj45 connector will not fit? "

you nailed it with these.
EMI will be massive if not using twisted pairs.
standard connections will not work with such a thick wire, as well as the added resistance the ethernet signal will encounter with the thicker gauge will greatly shorten the run length.

Cat 5e or Cat 6

kanewolf

Titan
"The cable is not twisted pair so perhaps there's an EMI issue, and the wire is thicker than cat5e or cat6e so maybe the rj45 connector will not fit? "

you nailed it with these.
EMI will be massive if not using twisted pairs.
standard connections will not work with such a thick wire, as well as the added resistance the ethernet signal will encounter with the thicker gauge will greatly shorten the run length.
The larger gauge wire is actually lower resistance.

If it was very short you might get 10mbps if you are lucky but it appears you have a very long cable which means it needs to meet standards to make ethernet work.

All depends on what is on the far end. You talk about PoE so I assume you do not have ac power ?

There are devices sometime called ethernet "extenders". These devices are all proprietary things so there is no common name I think. Most are some form of DSL. They are designed to be carried telephone wires so the wires you have would work. The ones that run on telephone wires can go many kilometers.

There are other solution I have seen used to carry security cameras but those were not IP type of cameras they were proprietary units.

The issue would be how do you power the unit on the far side. You might be able to hack together your own form of passive PoE if you get unit that run on DC power and it does not take to much current.

This is one of those I suspect if you search long enough you should be able to find something that is usable I just do not know off hand what it is.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS