Question Can I use this connector

Sep 17, 2019
Ok so I need to upgrade the power supply in my dell 9020 tower I’ve found this insignia 520 watt it has everything I need expect one connector so what I need is two 6 pin connectors for the gpu which it has two 4 pins which I’m gonna use as an 8 pin connector for the motherboard and i need another 4 pin connector so since I’m using the 8 pin for my motherboard and not the 24 pin connector it comes with can I just use the 4 pin that connects to the 20 pin for my mother board as separate like only use the 4 pin let me know what you guys think as I don’t know much about motherboard connectors

Sep 17, 2019
Wow and here it’s bought it was a good idea to get this cheap 9020 and upgrade it unbelievably stupid so yes the 20+4 adapter as I said earlier would work

Wow and here it’s bought it was a good idea to get this cheap 9020 and upgrade it unbelievably stupid so yes the 20+4 adapter as I said earlier would work

Do you have a link to this adapter?

You never mentioned a specific adapter and you're talking about using the +4 for something it's not meant for.

Can you clarify?

If you re-read your original post, you can probably understand why it's not very clear.

Reactions: Matt346

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

No. You do not want to do this. Even if you get an aftermarket power supply working with your PC, you sure as sugar don't want to be using a cheapo garbage-tier PSU like the Insignia.

Reactions: Matt346
Sep 17, 2019
So should I get an evga?? im somewhat new to computers and didnt know you needed specific cords even if doesn’t have the same amount of connectors but I’m pretty sure it’s for the cpu it’s the 4 piece connector right on the top of the motherboard left of the cpu fan

Just thought it would make sense if used the 4 off the 20+4 since I’m just gonna use an adapter for 20+4 for a 4 connector

No. You can't. Because the voltages are different.

You see how the wires on your Dell PSU, the ATX to Dell adapter and the Insignia are all different colors? Those different colors represent t differ t voltages. The +4 of a 20+4 is very use specific, as I've already explained.