Can I use this CPU

Klotzco

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Hello,
my motherboard is an asus m4a87td evo, and I'm wondering if it can use the new AMD FX 8-Core Black Edition. I read what cpus it supports but I'm not sure since it's a newer cpu. I'm still learning the basics of pc building so I'd appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!

ouroboros

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2007
Asus M4A87TD EVO = 140W CPU Support

I'd give it another 2-3months and keep looking at BIOS-CPU updates. Better to stall a few months and see if you can get what you want without paying a premium than to pay that exta $ and then see three months later that you'd have been okay. In the meantime, save your pennies and you'll end up winning either way as prices drop. That being said, there's a limit to how long to play the waiting game. I usually base my builds on a socket roadmap and current finances. I've got a 7yr old AM2+ build that's still going strong and am speccing an FM2 ITX-VESA build with a few scrounged notebook parts. Intel is typically the more powerful performer but AMD usually delivers more bang for the buck if you're looking at the overall longevity of the platform.

*Question - What is the main use for your rig and what's the current CPU?