[SOLVED] can i use this ram for amd and intel ?

Solution
Yes, you can put compatible faster RAM into the build but the performance will only be at the fastest supported speed.

Again you need to refer to the host motherboard's specs.

And plan for now and later on with respect to both RAM and a future CPU upgrade.

Go to AMD's website and find the desired motherboard. The motherboard's User Guide/Manual will list the supported RAM but likely refer you back to the website for a more up-to-date listing of supported components.

You can install other unlisted RAM modules and they may or may not work. Either at speed or lower speeds. The motherboard manufacturer is under no obligation to support you if you are using unlisted RAM or other unlisted components you try to install.

If your...

Ralston18

Titan
What motherboard do you have?

It is the motherboard that determines what RAM is supported.

Go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website.

Find the applicable Motherboard User Guide/Manual to learn what RAM is supported.

However the User Guide is likely to refer you back to the manufacturer's website for updated information.

Details matter so you need to read all Notes and "fine print".

For example - the version number applicable to your motherboard.

Side note: do keep in mind that upgrades often require more power.

Ensure that the existing PSU will support the envisioned upgrades.

RAM is likely to be okay but if the system is at some threshold value ( power available close to power needed) then problems could occur if more power hungry components are added.

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
What motherboard do you have?

It is the motherboard that determines what RAM is supported.

Go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website.

Find the applicable Motherboard User Guide/Manual to learn what RAM is supported.

However the User Guide is likely to refer you back to the manufacturer's website for updated information.

Details matter so you need to read all Notes and "fine print".

For example - the version number applicable to your motherboard.

Side note: do keep in mind that upgrades often require more power.

Ensure that the existing PSU will support the envisioned upgrades.

RAM is likely to be okay but if the system is at some threshold value ( power available close to power needed) then problems could occur if more power hungry components are added.
my motherboard now will support it its in my signature it wont run it at the right speed but it will support it. My question was tho can i use it if i change to a amd motherboard and predecessor down the road

Ralston18

Titan
Yes, you can put compatible faster RAM into the build but the performance will only be at the fastest supported speed.

Again you need to refer to the host motherboard's specs.

And plan for now and later on with respect to both RAM and a future CPU upgrade.

Go to AMD's website and find the desired motherboard. The motherboard's User Guide/Manual will list the supported RAM but likely refer you back to the website for a more up-to-date listing of supported components.

You can install other unlisted RAM modules and they may or may not work. Either at speed or lower speeds. The motherboard manufacturer is under no obligation to support you if you are using unlisted RAM or other unlisted components you try to install.

If your current RAM is listed then using it should be fine. However details matter so read all of the notes and fine print. Both the RAM specs and the physical installation (slot usage) are relevant. Sometimes you must event insert the modules in a given order.

And there are usually some additional caveats that the manufacturer reserves the right to make changes. So for now they may intend to support some future CPU but could decide otherwise for whatever reason or reasons.

Solution