Can I use this RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akiraQ

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Hello friends, I'm trying to install more RAM in my sisters desktop but she told me the last RAM she tried to install killed her motherboard. She wants confirmation from people smarter than me that the two products below can be run simultaneously in the same system.

The present RAM
F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

The RAM that she wants to add
F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH

Her motherboard is a: Asus M5A97 EVO

Is it safe to use both of these?

Thanks!
-
Akira

Solution
D
Based on what she uses the computer for she might be better off with 16GB. You can try the 2 x 2GB sticks with what she has now but be sure to run memtest to make sure they are stable together. Her best bet is to just by an additional 8GB kit identical to what she has now. DDR3 is dirt cheap and unlikely to drop much in price.
though it would have saved you the trouble to download the memory support list on the site like all motherboard vendors have that you indirectly linked as well, i had to download it and manually checked, both ram sets are in the compatability list.

D

Deleted member 217926

Maybe you can mix those kits. Just because both are on the QVL does not mean they will play nice with each other. One set is cas 9 and one is cas 7 and that could very well cause problems.

Why exactly does she want more than 8GB of RAM anyway? Unless she does extensive Photo and video editing 8GB is more than enough.

If you want less headaches than trying to find a happy medium of what cas latency to run when mixing those kits it would be much better to add an identical kit. If you do try to run them together try cas 9-9-9-24 2T first.

akiraQ

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

She is an illustrator who works with InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and other Adobe programs. She is often running several at once and she just decided she needs Photoshop to run faster with a recently purchased a Wacom Cintiq 24HD. Do you think 8GB is enough? It might be safer just to chuck the two 2GB sticks. I did find these G.SKILL sticks at my house. While they are not directly listed as compatible on the memory support list might they be safe to use alone?

D

Deleted member 217926

Based on what she uses the computer for she might be better off with 16GB. You can try the 2 x 2GB sticks with what she has now but be sure to run memtest to make sure they are stable together. Her best bet is to just by an additional 8GB kit identical to what she has now. DDR3 is dirt cheap and unlikely to drop much in price.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.