[SOLVED] Can I use two AMD Radeon Firepro w9100 GPUs ?

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
So apparently the amd radeon firepro w9100 has 32 gb vram and supports 8k, so can I build a pc with two of these and connect it to two different monitors and use amd eyefinity so I can use one large display?

Solution
No, sorry mate but this is a really numb idea. The w9100 has the same gaming ability as a 1060 6gb card. It is a workstation card and not built for gaming, no driver support for games etc.

The w9100 is on an older 28nm tech, slower Memory, slow core clocks, has no Display Ports, has a lower Pixel Rate, half of the takt frequence ......etc, etc, etc..... an AWFUL choice if you are looking to game and VRAM is only a small part of what makes a GPU good or not. It does not even have HDMI outputs as far as I can see.

Very few games support SLI now as it is basically dead as a tech. There is no GPU that can REALLY do 8k yet, even the RTX 3090 can "do" 8k at like 25-30fps...... oh goodie.

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
Hey I am not gonna do this but this has more vram and costs less than rtx 3090 but my main question is can I connect this gpu to two 8k monitors and use amd eyefinity?

No, sorry mate but this is a really numb idea. The w9100 has the same gaming ability as a 1060 6gb card. It is a workstation card and not built for gaming, no driver support for games etc.

The w9100 is on an older 28nm tech, slower Memory, slow core clocks, has no Display Ports, has a lower Pixel Rate, half of the takt frequence ......etc, etc, etc..... an AWFUL choice if you are looking to game and VRAM is only a small part of what makes a GPU good or not. It does not even have HDMI outputs as far as I can see.

Very few games support SLI now as it is basically dead as a tech. There is no GPU that can REALLY do 8k yet, even the RTX 3090 can "do" 8k at like 25-30fps...... oh goodie.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
So as you all know nvdia has a technology called nvdia surround which allows you two use 3 seperate monitors as a single display and if you have three different gpu's
then you will get the best perfomace and technically "combining" the gpu's but what if I only have one monitor and three gpu's?
Can I use all the three gpu's at once on a single monitor?

There is no GPU that can power several monitors at 8k native resolution , end of. If you use DLSS to it's lowest setting, turn off Raytracing you MIGHT get 60 fps but that is not really 8k. Now 4k is possible but 8k is still beyond the scope of this present generation of GPU ability. In 1 or 2 genartations it may well be a reality but for now it is not happening.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Hey I am not gonna do this but this has more vram and costs less than rtx 3090 but my main question is can I connect this gpu to two 8k monitors and use amd eyefinity?

Are you sure you mean the W9100, and not the WX 9100? They are completely different cards. The W9100 uses Hawaii XT, which is what the R9 290X uses. The WX9100 is Vega, and is similar to a Vega 64. Neither of those are 8k cards. The only reason why the 3090 is able to pull off 8k, is using DLSS. It actually renders at 1440p, and upscales it. Linus discussed this when he got his review unit to test. The 6900XT is also not going to be proficient at 8k resolution, because unlike nVidia, it can't use DLSS to upscale a 1440p image to 8k. You'll end up with a huge performance hit moving from 4k to 8k with the 6900XT, probably along the lines of 50% or more, depending on the game and your settings. There's no point spending on an 8k TV or monitor, if you're limited to gaming using low-medium settings to keep the frames up.

Here's an 8K test of Vega 64. Two of them working in concert (if such a thing is even possible) won't be much better. (I used the strongest of the two as my example, because if Vega can't do it, then neither can Hawaii XT.)

https://videocardz.com/72331/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-tested-at-8k-resolution

And the Linus video that reveals nVidia's dirty, little secret regarding it's 8k gaming claims for the 3090.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjcxrfEVhc8

Last edited:

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
Are you sure you mean the W9100, and not the WX 9100? They are completely different cards. The W9100 uses Hawaii XT, which is what the R9 290X uses. The WX9100 is Vega, and is similar to a Vega 64. Neither of those are 8k cards. The only reason why the 3090 is able to pull off 8k, is using DLSS. It actually renders at 1440p, and upscales it. Linus discussed this when he got his review unit to test.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjcxrfEVhc8
I am talking about the new firepro gpu that has 32 gb vram and it is a workstation gpu