Can I use two VGA cables to power 1 980 ti

BortW

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
Hello. I have a bit of a predicament. I have an EVGA 980 ti FTW ACX 2.0, with 2 8 pin slots, so it draws more power than the new Pascal GPUs. I have an EVGA 650G2. It does not come with a 8/8 pin cable, but it does have 2 6/6+2. Can I plug both VGA cables (the PSU has VGA1 and VGA2, so Im assuming its for SLI, which I dont plan to run with this PSU) then use both 6+2 in the GPU and tie the both remaing 6 pin connectors with a cable tie?
EDIT: I have never been too fond of PSU adapters because my PSU says that I should use the cables provided

Solution
I think the simple answer is "Yes". If I'm reading your post correctly, you want to plug two 6/6+2 cables into your PSU, then on the cable side of it, you want to use the 6+2s to power your card? That will work. That's how it's supposed to go, the VGA 1 and VGA 2 are only marked as such so that you know you plug the VGA cables into them, not that it's for SLI or XFire. Most modern PSUs come with a 4+4 cable that goes to the motherboard, and plugging that into the VGA slot on the PSU would be bad, most likely, not sure by how much, not sure if they would even fit... I know some of the plugs are different, anyhow, go ahead...
I think the simple answer is "Yes". If I'm reading your post correctly, you want to plug two 6/6+2 cables into your PSU, then on the cable side of it, you want to use the 6+2s to power your card? That will work. That's how it's supposed to go, the VGA 1 and VGA 2 are only marked as such so that you know you plug the VGA cables into them, not that it's for SLI or XFire. Most modern PSUs come with a 4+4 cable that goes to the motherboard, and plugging that into the VGA slot on the PSU would be bad, most likely, not sure by how much, not sure if they would even fit... I know some of the plugs are different, anyhow, go ahead...

Solution

TRENDING THREADS