Can I use USB 3.0 extension cable on USB 3.0 port of my motherboard ?

earth50

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015
I mean if i use that would I get slow speed ?

There is a USB 3.0 port on front pannel of my cabinet (Circle CC 830) but it's damaged.. So, I have no option left except motherboard's 3.0 USB ports which is on back side.. Now it's simply not possible to plug things on the back everytime.. Anyway, my question is would be there any speed difference than motherboard's USB port on USB extension cable or hub ?

And will my external hard disks, pen drive work as usual ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
There is no official max length for USB3.0 as far as I know. But 9 to 10 meters is the generally accepted max. So a short cable to go from back to front should be fine and make no difference at all in throughput... as long as you don't buy a cheap cable.

Btw, I put one of these in the front panel of my case because it too did not have a 3.0 port. As long as you have a 20 pin header on your board that would be another option. http://www.amazon.com/JacobsParts-Expansion-20-Pin-Motherboard-Header/dp/B00D4A94GY

vikbot

Honorable
Aug 9, 2015

Thank you very much for your reply... You just solved my problem :)
Another question I would like to ask you, is that I'm seeing you are using Corsair H60. Now my question is how is it performing ? I'm also using same i5-4690K as you but mine is not overclocked.. Still it's touching 60 degree Celsius on little load because of sh!t Intel cooler. Anyway, what is the maximum temperature you have noted under 80% - 100% load ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
@ vikbot
It's been very good considering its size, slightly better than the 212 EVO I had on previously and better looking IMO. OC'ed @ 4.5 GHz I can keep it in the mid 60Cs, low 70Cs at 100% load during the Intel Burn Test. But I need to play with the fan curve for the single rad fan I have.
Avg temps during IBT run:
Gz8V4TY.jpg

(The last one is max core temp avg)

vikbot

Honorable
Aug 9, 2015

Allllright ! My main work is video editing/rendering on Premiere Pro and playing games like CoD, GTA V etc... What you say ? Should I go for it ? Also mine is not Over Clocked so I think the CPU would be lot cooler..

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Oh yes, if you don't OC, it will barely get out of the 40Cs. If you get the H60, be sure to connect the pump to an always-on full speed fan header. Or even directly to the PSU. The rad fan on the other hand, should plug into the cpu fan header so it can be controlled like the stock cooler fan was. Many folks think the pump should be plugged into the cpu fan header, but the pump wants to run at full rpm all the time to prevent burn out.

vikbot

Honorable
Aug 9, 2015

Same rule for H80i ? Also is there any chance of liquid leakage ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If the H80i uses Corsair Link, the hook-up will be different.
There's always a very, very, very slight chance of coolant leaking, but no one here on the forum has ever mentioned they had that issue. The AIO coolers are pretty dependable as long as you don't cut or puncture the hoses. I think (but not sure about this) that the coolant is under a vacuum so that it vaporizes once exposed to normal atmospheric pressure.

If fact, most air coolers' heat pipes contain some kind of coolant as well.

vikbot

Honorable
Aug 9, 2015

Oohho.. Some scary stuff !! How would I know and what to do when coolant is leaking ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
There's nothing scary about it. If leakage with AIO coolers was an issue, there'd be tons of folks here talking about it. Never heard a peep. Never even heard of a custom liquid cooled system leaking.
But even if the stuff vaporized out of the system somehow, you would notice core temps climbing. Eventually, the temps would reach the trigger point to shut down the system.

vikbot

Honorable
Aug 9, 2015

Thank you very much bro.. You have cleared all my doubts and answered all queries :)

Last question - Do you recommend air cooler like Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo over liquid cooler like Corsair H80i for maximum cooling and hassle free operation to a non Over Clocker who only works with Premiere Pro, Photoshop etc ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I can't recommend the H80i because I've never used it nor the Corsair link it uses for control. But between the H60 and the 212 EVO (of which I have 2 of each), I would recommend the H60 for ease of installation* and better, less cluttered build appearance. As for cooling, they are pretty well equal with the edge going to the H60. But until you OC, they are both overkill.

* The 212 EVO can be a bit of a hassle to install the first time.

vikbot

Honorable
Aug 9, 2015

Okay... So, anything that is best for my work which is Premiere Pro rendering and Photoshop ?

TRENDING THREADS