[SOLVED] Can I use WAN port instead of LAN port for my secondary router?

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I asked my ISP to initiate a second connection from the movie dem to my other router but he said that it isn't possible to do. Before leaving he said that the ethernet cable has to be connected to the wan port instead of LAN even when it is in access point. Is this true?

The secondary router i have is Asus RT-AC53. I was informed earlier that I should use the lan port instead of wan from the primary router to the secondary router.

Solution
Kinda depends what you are calling wan/lan. When it is running in router mode you MUST use the wan port because the router function only happens between wan/lan. Now when you set the "router" to "AP" mode in effect the wan port is converted to a lan port. Now in some devices there is a very tiny performance difference but I am unclear if this is a real difference or one of those theoretical things. The main reason to do it would be you get a extra ethernet port to connect end device to. All depends on if that makes a difference.

The reason you see it recommended to connect to lan is years ago many routers did not support AP mode and to use a router as a AP you had to use the lan port. Now days it seems to be...
Kinda depends what you are calling wan/lan. When it is running in router mode you MUST use the wan port because the router function only happens between wan/lan. Now when you set the "router" to "AP" mode in effect the wan port is converted to a lan port. Now in some devices there is a very tiny performance difference but I am unclear if this is a real difference or one of those theoretical things. The main reason to do it would be you get a extra ethernet port to connect end device to. All depends on if that makes a difference.

The reason you see it recommended to connect to lan is years ago many routers did not support AP mode and to use a router as a AP you had to use the lan port. Now days it seems to be the reverse almost all devices support AP mode.

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of your primary router?

Taking this image as an example;
1387431.jpg

On the primary router, the blue port is where you plug your ISP's end to the router. The yellow ports are what you hook to your ethernet devices. Now if you want to hook a secondary router using ethernet cable, you need to run a cable from one of the yellow ports to the blue ports on the secondary router. Again for the sale of this thread, I'm assuming you have two similar routers.

To rollback, if you're already working with a wireless router in your crib, why not have a network extender to cover your crib? You could also try and locate the router to be at the center of your home(if you considered your home as though it were a spherical abode).

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
What is the make and model of your primary router?

The primary router is TP Link Archer A7 AC1750.

To rollback, if you're already working with a wireless router in your crib, why not have a network extender to cover your crib? You could also try and locate the router to be at the center of your home(if you considered your home as though it were a spherical abode).

I'm sorry I don't quite follow...the second router is just connected to ethernet wiring that was set up. I just was curious on the AP part...

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish but a managed switch would work better instead of connecting a secondary router. I've seen people who have connected a secondary router to their primary feed and complain about slow network speed and connection drops. A managed switch has no issues, no complaints and they can see all their devices.

TRENDING THREADS