[SOLVED] Can I use WD Purple for Gaming with addition of 32GB SSD for Intel Smart Cache

Jan 22, 2020
Like the topic said, I know WD Purple is intended for surveillance storage. Since the purple have optimized sequential writing speed and i have spare 32gb off msata ssd, i wonder i can manage to cover the lack of read speed on the WD Purple in daily gaming usage

Note that i have separate 240gb ssd for OS drive, and WD Purple storages are very cheap in my country

Thanks in advance to people who can give me some answers.

Cheers.

Solution
Yes, but you shouldn't!

1. WD Purple is intended for DVRs and other surveillance systems capturing video streams 24/7 where a little data corruption is not an issue (hence, less reliable), but power consumption and surveillance specific features matter. For regular use, reading speed really matters and not just the writing speed.
  2. WD Purple is 5400 RPM (hell slow!). Even most WD Blue HDDs are 7200 RPM now.
For your purpose, performance matters the most. You should consider buying a large performance SSD (like WD Black SSDs, Samsung Pro SSDs or Corsair Force series) for gaming and archive your files on HDDs. SSHD is also a decent choice if you are going to spend less.

(Even mid-range SSDs like Samsung EVO, WD Blue or...

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
Yes, but you shouldn't!

1. WD Purple is intended for DVRs and other surveillance systems capturing video streams 24/7 where a little data corruption is not an issue (hence, less reliable), but power consumption and surveillance specific features matter. For regular use, reading speed really matters and not just the writing speed.
  2. WD Purple is 5400 RPM (hell slow!). Even most WD Blue HDDs are 7200 RPM now.
For your purpose, performance matters the most. You should consider buying a large performance SSD (like WD Black SSDs, Samsung Pro SSDs or Corsair Force series) for gaming and archive your files on HDDs. SSHD is also a decent choice if you are going to spend less.

(Even mid-range SSDs like Samsung EVO, WD Blue or etc, perform whole lot faster than HDDs since they offer higher read, write speed and IOPS and you'll experience much lower loading times.)
Check your motherboard specifications to see which SSD types it can support.
(NVMe M.2 > SATA M.2 > SATA)

Last edited:
Solution