Can I use Windows 7 from the HDD or will I have to buy a new version?

tchazinator

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Basically, I am building a new PC and I have moved my HDD over with Windows 7 installed on it.
Will it work as is when I boot the PC with a new MOBO, or will it just go into BIOS, I am a noob so any advice is welcome, Thanks.

P.S do I need to buy a new version of windows and install from disk if this method is not possible?

xcrossroadsx

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Couple of things. First, there will be issues as the unit will try to load the drivers for the old motherboard and will almost always cause a BSOD. You can try booting into safe mode, and if you can you can run sysprep (located in c:\windows\system32\sysprep) which will attempt to remove all drivers from your computer and go through the OOBE setup.
Even if that works and you can get into the OS normally, you will experience activation errors with Windows as Windows activation is based on your motherboard. You can attempt to contact Microsoft and they may or may not allow you to activate Windows on the new motherboard (removing the activation from the old motherboard).
Good luck.

tchazinator

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013

Would the best thing be to buy a new version of windows then?

RealBeast

Titan
It really depends on how close the chipsets are to one another, I do it all the time from Intel 45/67/68 to 77/87 without any real issues if I first uninstall the video card driver, it just takes a few minutes for some driver changes. I've never had any luck moving between AMD and Intel though.

I use retail install disks, so they can be moved from machine to machine unlike OEM versions. AN OEM license of Windows 7 does not include changing out the motherboard, but does allow just about everything else.

tchazinator

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013

Just found a recovery disk entitled "windows 7 SP1" will that do anything?

RealBeast

Titan
Not if it is just a recovery disk -- what does it actually say on it? You can download a full install disk if it was a retail install, and not an OEM by you or Dell, HP, etc.

If it is just an OEM install you will need to buy a new activation key since you are changing the motherboard.