Can I use windows 7 oem serial # on my old laptop to upgrade vista on my current machine?

wyckedscepter

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
Hello All,

I have an older HP desktop computer that is still powerful, but is running windows vista SP2. I have a lenovo laptop running windows 7, that I am now replacing with a new lenovo thinkpad running windows 8.

I need to upgrade vista to windows 7 on my desktop to be able to run office 2013, I am wondering if I can make a windows boot disk, reformat desktop, and then use the serial code from my old laptop running windows 7 to activate. Can I de-activate windows 7 on the old laptop (I am basically going to scrap it for a few parts), and get rid of the machine, and that could free up license number?

If that method won't work can anyone suggest best way to upgrade vista for as little cost as possible? I will ultimately probably upgrade all to windows 10, but windows 7 and 8 upgrade to 10 for free.

Thanks!

Solution

'another Lenovo' doesn't make a difference. It is the specific motherboard.
But since it is 'banged up'...you'll probably just have to bite the bullet and buy a new OS.

USAFRet

Titan

'another Lenovo' doesn't make a difference. It is the specific motherboard.
But since it is 'banged up'...you'll probably just have to bite the bullet and buy a new OS.

Solution

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

First and OEM from one PC brand won't activate on another brand. The keys are squenced for OEM's. Second once the OEM is install it's tied to that exact machine and won't activate legally even on the same brand or model PC.