Question can i use xp forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike653

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2015
i have os with a set of software: ms office, aurocad, graphic editors, ect. in the future, will formats change so it would be impossible to open files created with this software in newer versions? as to internet browsers, will they become unusable (no flash players, no way to display pages)? can i install xp on a newer machine?

May 25, 2019
Hardware will not support XP Drivers, so anything modern, just won't be recognised.
this is true to a point but tepends on what you consider modern. It is possible to run XP on earlier AM2+/AM3 chipsets with up to a 1100T Thuban processor but your GPU options will be limited. (A 7890 will work)
You MAY have success with socket FM1/FM2 depending on the chipset.
AM4 or newer just isnt gonna happen. I liked XP too, but its hard enough getting 7 to run on AM4.

just go to AMD site look up drivers for different AM2+/AM3 chipsets, find one you like that has XP drivers add a 1100T 4gb (2x2gb for dual channel) DDR3, a 7890, and a WD velociraptor HDD and you'll have the absolute maximum XP can support.

USAFRet

Titan
i have os with a set of software: ms office, aurocad, graphic editors, ect. in the future, will formats change so it would be impossible to open files created with this software in newer versions? as to internet browsers, will they become unusable (no flash players, no way to display pages)? can i install xp on a newer machine?
"Forever"?

Replace "Win XP" with "Win95"
While you could force XP onto 'not quite new' hardware...can you do the same with Win95 in 2019?

Just as importantly....why?

May 25, 2019
well in the small online community dedicated to preservation of legacy windows its been done. 95/98/ME with various workarounds to run on relatively modern hardware, but yeah there really isnt much point. Other than the proving it possible that community already done it would just be wasted effort, as graphics cards newer than x850 or geforce 6800 wouldnt have the right z-buffer for games, so you might as well just be running it in virtualbox (no 3d accelerator support for win9x in virtualbox)
Hence the need for physical systems, though the best solution is an old socket 462 board x850 AGP and modern 80+ efficient PSU.

WIth XP its not quite as difficult, and of course any XP compatible game will work fine with newer model graphics cards.
Its also ''new'' enough to be functionally usable (despite security holes) without a lot of hacks and hotfixes, for the most part.
Maybe the OP had a bad experience with vista and is incorrectly worried about a repeat experience with 7.
MAybe for whatever reason the OP doesn't have access to windows 7 and wants XP instead of 10. I could certainly understand that. Before windows 7 came out, XP was gold. fast, stable, and would run circles around vista on the same hardware, but in most cases now except for really old hardware that can't handle Aero, windows 7 is actually faster than XP.
Personally I prefer windows 7 and will probably be using it ""forever"" so I can't really advise you to upgrade without feeling like a hipocrite, but windows 7 is faster (and more secure but thats a whole other can of worms). and in most cases works out of the box on most modern hardware (up to AM3+ FX8350 trouble free) and also works with Ryzen 1800x-2700x with effort (not officially supported) )
I think you should upgrade to windows 7 to better support new hardware, but I understand where you're coming from and if I couldn't have windows 7 I'd take XP over 10 any day.

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
My employer still runs Windows 3.1 on his home machine, and now has 7 installed on the shop machines..... (just cuz "support" for XP expired) Go figure that one out....

I do believe you can run XP forever as long as you have the hardware it likes.

You should probably not eat the tomatoes your great gramma canned 92 years ago.... and I wouldn't eat the ones your granny canned 58 years ago, but you can probably still use the ones your mom canned back in 2002.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

You can use it AS IS forever. I still have a PC at work that uses Windows 3.1 for specific software. You won't be able to add new software and newer file formats will be unsupported.

May 25, 2019
You can use it AS IS forever. I still have a PC at work that uses Windows 3.1 for specific software. You won't be able to add new software and newer file formats will be unsupported.
Not easily at any rate. there is however a group that tweaks software to work with Xp (and even 98/ME) but its mostly internet browsers, java, flash, and things of that nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.