[SOLVED] Can I wire a USB to Ethernet adapter using 2 twisted pairs? Ultimately, is it possible to run a USB/Ethernet adapter through an Ethernet splitter?

jjbirky

Reputable
Feb 19, 2016
Hi All,
I hope you can follow my description here and it all makes sense... bear with me. :)

I'm trying to setup my printer for sharing over the network. See diagram below. It's an old printer, with USB only, no Ethernet jack. The printer lives next to the router at the network hub of my home. The router does have USB ports, but does not work as a print server, and from what I've gleaned can't be configured as one (century link issued, zyxel c3000z)
The computer I want to use as the print server is in a separate room connected to the hub by a single wall jack. I'm trying to use the setup below, but it doesn't seem to be working.

After discovering that the USB/Ethernet adapters I bought used different pins than those that my ethernet splitter was wired for, I made my own adapters with this configuration: USB Red and Black (power) to the ethernet green pair (pins 3&6); USB green and white (data) to the ethernet orange pair (pins 1&2). This matches what the splitter is trying to do (green and orange pairs on one jack; blue and brown on the other). Can I wire the adapter like this to work over just 2 pairs?? The aim is to then use the other side of the splitter (blue and brown pairs) for 100mb ethernet... so the computer is connected to the network over ethernet to be able to share the printer (don't want wireless sharing because it requires the computer never go to sleep).

The purchased USB/Ethernet adapter used one twisted pair for data, but connected the power to the solid green and solid orange. Is that configureation required? I'm not sure why 2 pairs wouldn't work, but PC gives me a "USB not recognized" message the way I've wired them.

Ultimately, Is this setup possible through some kind of other wiring alchemy over the 4 twisted pairs? (ignore the periods... they don't "connect" any components; they're just placeholders to make this show up correctly cause empty spaces gets deleted upon publishing the post.)

Printer <-> adapter <-> splitter jack 1 <-\ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . /---> Splitter jack 1 <-> adapter <-> PC
. . . . . .. . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ... . . . . . .. .. . . . . . --> wall jack <--> wall jack <--
Router <------------ > Splitter port 2 <-----/ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \--->Splitter port 2 <----> PC

Also, yes I know there are other solutions (move the printer, get a wireless enabled printer, etc). But first I'm trying to make it work with what I have and with the current device locations, and hoping it's possible somehow.

Thanks for you help!!
JJ

Last edited:
Solution
Hi All,
I hope you can follow my description here and it all makes sense... bear with me. :)

I'm trying to setup my printer for sharing over the network. See diagram below. It's an old printer, with USB only, no Ethernet jack. The printer lives next to the router at the network hub of my home. The router does have USB ports, but does not work as a print server, and from what I've gleaned can't be configured as one (century link issued, zyxel c3000z)
The computer I want to use as the print server is in a separate room connected to the hub by a single wall jack. I'm trying to use the setup below, but it doesn't seem to be working.

After discovering that the USB/Ethernet adapters I bought used different pins than those that...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi All,

After discovering that the USB/Ethernet adapters I bought used different pins than those that my ethernet splitter was wired for, I made my own adapters with this configuration: USB Red and Black (power) to the ethernet green pair (pins 3&6); USB green and white (data) to the ethernet orange pair (pins 1&2). This matches what the splitter is trying to do (green and orange pairs on one jack; blue and brown on the other). Can I wire the adapter like this to work over just 2 pairs?? The aim is to then use the other side of the splitter (blue and brown pairs) for 100mb ethernet... so the computer is connected to the network over ethernet to be able to share the printer (don't want wireless sharing because it requires the computer never go to sleep).

The purchased USB/Ethernet adapter used one twisted pair for data, but connected the power to the solid green and solid orange. Is that configureation required? I'm not sure why 2 pairs wouldn't work, but PC gives me a "USB not recognized" message the way I've wired them.

Ultimately, Is this setup possible through some kind of other wiring alchemy over the 4 twisted pairs? (ignore the periods... they don't "connect" any components; they're just placeholders to make this show up correctly cause empty spaces gets deleted upon publishing the post.)

Printer <-> adapter <-> splitter jack 1 <-\ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . /---> Splitter jack 1 <-> adapter <-> PC
. . . . . .. . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ... . . . . . .. .. . . . . . --> wall jack <--> wall jack <--
Router <------------ > Splitter port 2 <-----/ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \--->Splitter port 2 <----> PC

Also, yes I know there are other solutions (move the printer, get a wireless enabled printer, etc). But first I'm trying to make it work with what I have and with the current device locations, and hoping it's possible somehow.

Thanks for you help!!
JJ
Rather than mess with all this kludge work, just buy a USB to ethernet print server and a cheap ethernet switch. Then the printer can be on the network 24x7, no PC required -- https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-100Mbps-Ethernet-Network-Server/dp/B016A4MSA4/
That way you keep your 1Gb connection to the PC and the switch handles the 100Mbit printer link.

Solution