Question Can I wire one power button to two devices?

artoodeeto2

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
I’m putting together a custom TARDIS case (worklog over here if anyone’s interested).

I wanted the TARDIS sound to play as the system starts up. That means needing a dedicated device to play the audio during bootup, so I bought one of these.

I have two questions:
1. If I splice the button wires on the audio device into the computer’s power button wires, will one push of the power button turn the system on and activate the audio device, thus playing the sounds, at the same time?

2. The back of the device’s circuit board has the button terminals labeled at 3.7V. After a bit of research it looks like computer power buttons operate at 3.3V. The audio device diagram on Amazon’s website shows the power button terminals able to operate between 3 and 5V. Given all that, if I splice the device into the computer power button, do I risk damaging anything on the motherboard if the audio device does indeed pull 3.7v? Or would the motherboard limit the voltage to 3.3V, causing the audio device to potentially not activate?

Thanks!

artoodeeto2

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
ok thanks. I mainly wanted to make sure that the power switch, when pressed, wouldn't create a momentary connection between the audio device and the motherboard (since the button would be wired to both) that could potentially fry one or the other if the voltages were different on each device.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
To be 100% sure you could use the + pin off the motherboard only and only splice the other side and see if that'll work first. You shouldn't need both hots, but I suppose it's possible 3.3v won't trigger the audio device but I suspect it will