[SOLVED] Can i5-7400 and i7-6700 use the same cooler?

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Intel lists them both as 65W (TDP) CPUs. So, if I swap out my home office PC's i5-7400 with an i7-6700, can I keep the same Intel stock cooler?

(Edited)

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, you can use the same heatsink/cooler. BTW, your title and body models don't match.

What are the actual CPUs you are asking about? What make/model motherboard(s)?

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Yes, you can use the same heatsink/cooler. BTW, your title and body models don't match.

What are the actual CPUs you are asking about? What make/model motherboard(s)?
:oops: You're right. Typo King, that's me. I meant the i5-7400 and i7-6700.

I was concerned because it would seem to a novice like myself, that 4c/8t should get warmer than 4c/4t when pushed.
Motherboard in question is an Asus Q270M-C.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Just making sure...;)

I would recommend against using a heatsink that was new when the i5-2400 was en vogue to be recycled with a much newer CPU. While compatible, age would be a concern. In your case, not really an issue.
Thanks. If I may, I'd like to ask a related question. Originally I was looking to get a Xeon equivalent to the 6th/7th gen i7. But oddly* the board's CPU support list doesn't show any Xeons. I was going to take a chance since I have the latest BIOS that's offered, but chickened out. Have any thoughts on the board recognizing the Xeons?

*I thought that was odd because the board is kind of business specific in design, isn't it?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thanks. If I may, I'd like to ask a related question. Originally I was looking to get a Xeon equivalent to the 6th/7th gen i7. But oddly* the board's CPU support list doesn't show any Xeons. I was going to take a chance since I have the latest BIOS that's offered, but chickened out. Have any thoughts on the board recognizing the Xeons?

*I thought that was odd because the board is kind of business specific in design, isn't it?
Many (most) consumer boards won't support Xeons. I wouldn't take the chance if not listed on your specific motherboard compatible CPU listing.

Reactions: box o rocks

it requires bios mod for Xeons to work on that motherboard, maybe i could help.

<<Please exchange personal information via direct/private message>>

Last edited by a moderator: