Question Can I5-8600k bottleneck Rx6600?

Jul 24, 2022
Hello i Just bought rx6600 and its on its way home now. While i was watching videos on YouTube i saw that i5 8600k was weaker than ryzen 5 3600. Will my processor bottleneck the rx6600? Thanks for your answers and help.

Hey there,

Don't get too hung up on the term 'bottlneck'. The 8600k is pretty close to a R3600. Just a few percent in terms of gaming. In actual fact, it's a pretty balanced CPU/GPU combo. Yes, with a stronger CPU, you might push a few more FPS, but as long as you are happy with the performance, then bottleneck is irrelevant.

Be happy and have a game and see how it feels for you.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unk0wn_0
Jul 24, 2022
Hey there,

Don't get too hung up on the term 'bottlneck'. The 8600k is pretty close to a R3600. Just a few percent in terms of gaming. In actual fact, it's a pretty balanced CPU/GPU combo. Yes, with a stronger CPU, you might push a few more FPS, but as long as you are happy with the performance, then bottleneck is irrelevant.

Be happy and have a game and se hot it feels for you.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for your answer i am very relieved. And i also have another question. My motherboard has PCI-E 3.0 will it effect the performance of the gpu?

Thanks for your answer i am very relieved. And i also have another question. My motherboard has PCI-E 3.0 will it effect the performance of the gpu?

No, nothing to worry about. Although there can be a very small benefit with PCIe 4 over3, you are lkiterally talking about 1-2 fps in some games. In other games PCIe 3 actually is slightly faster. It's down to margin of error stuff.

You should have a great gaming experience at 1080p high fps/hz.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu never holds back or slows down a gpu. Ever. The cpu puts out whatever it can, with whatever it's given by the engine and coding. If that's 10fps or 1000fps is immaterial to the gpu. The gpu will put out whatever its given by the cpu. Sometimes that fps is more than it can deal with and you only get 500fps on screen, sometimes it's less than what the gpu can deal with and you get all 10fps on screen. But in no way does the cpu affect the actual performance of the card.

If you have a 3060ti, it's always going to be a 3060ti, never anything more, never anything less, if you only get 10fps from the cpu, moving to a 3080Ti or GT1030 won't make a difference, you still get 10fps as that's within the ability of any card to reproduce, the cpu output being the limiting factor. If you are getting 1000fps from the cpu, moving to a 3080Ti or GT1030 will have a sizable impact with onscreen fps, as the gpu itself is a limiting factor.

And then you change games, which changes cpu output and you could be getting 200fps instead, which is within 3060ti ability to put all 200fps on screen.

The 8600k might be weaker than a 3600, but if the 6600xt can only put on screen 200fps because of resolution and detail settings, and both the 8600k and 3600 are capable of 250fps and 300fps, cpu won't make any difference, you only get 200fps. If the 8600k can only put out 150fps and the 3600 can put out 300fps, with the 8600k you get 150fps regardless of low/ultra settings, but the 3600 will see 200fps at ultra and 300fps at low because of the detail settings.

Doesn't change performance of the card, it's still a 6600xt, moving upto a 6700xt ups the ability, so you'd see zero change with a 8600k, but get the full 300fps at ultra instead with the 3600.

Gpu will never add more fps than the cpu can send, it can only decrease the amount of fps put on screen, according to resolution and detail settings and ability of the card. Sometimes that limit is more than the gpu can handle, sometimes it's less.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022
No, nothing to worry about. Although there can be a very small benefit with PCIe 4 over3, you are lkiterally talking about 1-2 fps in some games. In other games PCIe 3 actually is slightly faster. It's down to margin of error stuff.

You should have a great gaming experience at 1080p high fps/hz.
Thanks for your answers. I am really happy about hearing that. I am away from home right now. I will be back in 1-1.5 months. After that i will Let you know about the performance.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jul 24, 2022
Cpu never holds back or slows down a gpu. Ever. The cpu puts out whatever it can, with whatever it's given by the engine and coding. If that's 10fps or 1000fps is immaterial to the gpu. The gpu will put out whatever its given by the cpu. Sometimes that fps is more than it can deal with and you only get 500fps on screen, sometimes it's less than what the gpu can deal with and you get all 10fps on screen. But in no way does the cpu affect the actual performance of the card.

If you have a 3060ti, it's always going to be a 3060ti, never anything more, never anything less, if you only get 10fps from the cpu, moving to a 3080Ti or GT1030 won't make a difference, you still get 10fps as that's within the ability of any card to reproduce, the cpu output being the limiting factor. If you are getting 1000fps from the cpu, moving to a 3080Ti or GT1030 will have a sizable impact with onscreen fps, as the gpu itself is a limiting factor.

And then you change games, which changes cpu output and you could be getting 200fps instead, which is within 3060ti ability to put all 200fps on screen.

The 8600k might be weaker than a 3600, but if the 6600xt can only put on screen 200fps because of resolution and detail settings, and both the 8600k and 3600 are capable of 250fps and 300fps, cpu won't make any difference, you only get 200fps. If the 8600k can only put out 150fps and the 3600 can put out 300fps, with the 8600k you get 150fps regardless of low/ultra settings, but the 3600 will see 200fps at ultra and 300fps at low because of the detail settings.

Doesn't change performance of the card, it's still a 6600xt, moving upto a 6700xt ups the ability, so you'd see zero change with a 8600k, but get the full 300fps at ultra instead with the 3600.

Gpu will never add more fps than the cpu can send, it can only decrease the amount of fps put on screen, according to resolution and detail settings and ability of the card. Sometimes that limit is more than the gpu can handle, sometimes it's less.
Thanks for your reply i also want to ask a question about that topic. Since i have 8600k and due to enconomy in my country it is really Hard to get New parts for computer so i will stick with the 8600k but will it give Good performance for my rx6600? And exactly how much there is diffrance between 8600k and 3600?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's no guage of performance difference in reality. It's constantly changing depending on the game played, your settings, the resolution. A benchmark might say the 3600 gets an average of 150fps with a 6600xt, and the 8600k gets an average of 130fps, but you can't physically see the difference, only the number difference.

Some like to think that the number itself is important, it's really not. Not with 2 cpus that are pretty close. Comparing a 12900k output to a Ryzen 1300 output is a different story, the numbers themselves unimportant, but the range of difference most certainly is.

The cost to move from a 8600k to 3600 isn't worth it. To move from a 8600k to a 5700x is. There's enough of a difference between the cpu outputs to make a noticeable difference in playability, smoothness, on screen fps affecting vsync or freesync etc. You can physically see the difference between 40fps and 140fps. 40fps and 50fps isn't enough.

It's why it's recommended when upgrading to move 2x classes of gpu or more, because the next gpu up, like moving from a 3060 to a 3060ti simply doesn't show enough improvement to be worth the cost of the move.

The cheapest move that will show some improvement in some games is the 8700k. The hyperthreading available will relax some of the 8600k restrictions in core count, like with mmo's like WoW etc having greater thread access. Won't really affect LOL or CSGO in the slightest as those games use less than 4 cores. But a platform swap to a 3600 isn't going to show enough improvement overall to warrant the expense.

12400, 5600, 12600k, 5700x. Nothing lesser.

Jul 24, 2022
There's no guage of performance difference in reality. It's constantly changing depending on the game played, your settings, the resolution. A benchmark might say the 3600 gets an average of 150fps with a 6600xt, and the 8600k gets an average of 130fps, but you can't physically see the difference, only the number difference.

Some like to think that the number itself is important, it's really not. Not with 2 cpus that are pretty close. Comparing a 12900k output to a Ryzen 1300 output is a different story, the numbers themselves unimportant, but the range of difference most certainly is.

The cost to move from a 8600k to 3600 isn't worth it. To move from a 8600k to a 5700x is. There's enough of a difference between the cpu outputs to make a noticeable difference in playability, smoothness, on screen fps affecting vsync or freesync etc. You can physically see the difference between 40fps and 140fps. 40fps and 50fps isn't enough.

It's why it's recommended when upgrading to move 2x classes of gpu or more, because the next gpu up, like moving from a 3060 to a 3060ti simply doesn't show enough improvement to be worth the cost of the move.

The cheapest move that will show some improvement in some games is the 8700k. The hyperthreading available will relax some of the 8600k restrictions in core count, like with mmo's like WoW etc having greater thread access. Won't really affect LOL or CSGO in the slightest as those games use less than 4 cores. But a platform swap to a 3600 isn't going to show enough improvement overall to warrant the expense.

12400, 5600, 12600k, 5700x. Nothing lesser.
Again that for your help and time. For the Last question i am going to play watch dogs legion and cyberpunk 2077. In cyberpunk 2077 is it possible to get 60fps at ultra+FSR ultra quality?(with i5 8600k and rx6600)And in watch dogs legion in very high settings is it possible to get 60fps too? And also did i make a good decesion by upgrading to rx6600? I will game on 1080p. (I upgraded Rx6600 from gtx1060 6gb)

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022
The 6600xt is a decent upgrade over a 1060, but as to the rest, I can't answer that as I don't have your pc, nor play those specific games. I do know that CP2077 is brutal on both cpu and gpu, especially at high or ultra settings, because of all that the code contains to affect both.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/best-pc-settings-60fps
I did not buy rx6600xt i bought the standard rx6600. I have done some reserch about the pressesorces that you have listed. They are really overpriced in my country. I already payed a lot to get the rx6600. I think i will stick with my 8600k.Do you think that will it give me a good gaming expreiance and will i notice any low performance due to processor? I am planını to use this setup for only 1-1.5 years. After that i will be rebuilding a new PC. Again thanks for your reply and time.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You ask specific questions to stuff I can only answer broadly. I can't say for sure if it will give you a good gaming experience or not, that depends entirely on what you felt about your gaming experience before. It's an upgrade, so some aspects can be far better, you might see fps increase at prior detail settings or you might keep the same rough fps level but increase the look and feel of the game, either of which should increase enjoyment.

I know when I upgraded from a gtx970 to a 2070Super most games had both fps and detail increases, but stuff like CSGO didn't change a bit, it was already maxed out. But now I can run more 4k, 8k diffuse map mods, with a 4k DSR in my heavily modded skyrim, including smp-hdt and still keep 60fps. So while fps didn't move, my enjoyment went way higher than it was before. But thats me.

Only you can say if your gaming experience is better or not, whether some expectations were met, or not.

Jul 24, 2022
You ask specific questions to stuff I can only answer broadly. I can't say for sure if it will give you a good gaming experience or not, that depends entirely on what you felt about your gaming experience before. It's an upgrade, so some aspects can be far better, you might see fps increase at prior detail settings or you might keep the same rough fps level but increase the look and feel of the game, either of which should increase enjoyment.

I know when I upgraded from a gtx970 to a 2070Super most games had both fps and detail increases, but stuff like CSGO didn't change a bit, it was already maxed out. But now I can run more 4k, 8k diffuse map mods, with a 4k DSR in my heavily modded skyrim, including smp-hdt and still keep 60fps. So while fps didn't move, my enjoyment went way higher than it was before. But thats me.

Only you can say if your gaming experience is better or not, whether some expectations were met, or not.
Thanks.