[SOLVED] Can it be my memory doing bottheneck?

Pertuado

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Soo has it says on the title, i recently updated my ghaphips cards, from an 1060 gtx, to an 3060ti, but i see few improvement on some games, or no improvent what soo ever, My specs are... i7700K, 16GB dual 2400Mhz RAM, 3060ti, and 500GB 970 evo plus, i maybe be wrong but i believe its the memory RAM for being 2400mhz, and yes! its enable the XMP profile, however has its a dual channel, and i just confirm with the "CPU-z" is runing indeed in dual channel at "NB frequency: 4200MHz" ( https://prnt.sc/11e6w4r screenshot)... and if i am right which memory should be the right one for my case... a dual ram in 3200Mhz?

Solution
Hi there and thanks for your reply, about what you just said, it's true that many games dosent care about the frequency, but somo others are indeed sensitive to this factor, and thats my main question is this the case? The rest i dont believe is the CPU, because when im playing rhe game, CPU usage sits arrond 45% to 55%, actually the main reason to buy this GPU was because when i was playing this game, the GPU usage by the task manager was at 95% to 99%, now.... With the 3060ti stay at 50%
Considering a lot of tasks aren't affected that much by memory speeds faster than DDR4-2400, the fastest the i7-7700K supports per Intel's spec sheet, we can infer that the i7-7700K doesn't receive much of a performance improvement in general...

Ralston18

Titan
Motherboard? Make, model, version?

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual for supported RAM modules and supported physical installation configurations.

Most likely the motherboard's documentation will refer you to the manufacturer's website for more update information including possible changes.

Read all fine print, notes, and warnings.

And, just for the record, what PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Pertuado

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Motherboard? Make, model, version?

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual for supported RAM modules and supported physical installation configurations.

Most likely the motherboard's documentation will refer you to the manufacturer's website for more update information including possible changes.

Read all fine print, notes, and warnings.

And, just for the record, what PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Hi there, and thanks for reply, so about your questions, my Motherboard is an Asus maximus hero Viii with bios 3802 (update: 15/03/18) , and my PSU is an "EVGA" supernova gold2 and it has like 3 and half years,

Kaby Lake doesn't really respond much to higher memory clock speeds:
http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/a...Lake-Core-i7-7700K-CPU-Review/6#axzz6s1yvnMIf
(the gaming test they did appeared to use the iGPU, which isn't relevant for your use case)

Although there are rare instances where faster memory does provide something more than say 2-3%, but again, it's a rare instance.

If the games you're playing are basically hammering the CPU, then it's the CPU causing the performance barrier.

Ralston18

Titan
Motherboard Guide:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...RO/E18089_ROG_MAXIMUS_XIII_HERO_UM_V3_WEB.pdf

[Do verify that I found the correct manual.]

Supported memory specifications are listed on physically numbered Page vii.

Installation (DIMM Slots) information is on Page 1-5 and 1-6.

Read the User Guide and double check all physical installations and configuration settings.

PSU may be part of the problem. The new GPU and overall hardware configuration may be creating peak power demands that the PSU is unable to provide.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just one at a time) to observe system performance while the system is idling, light browsing, light gaming, heavy gaming.

Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Pertuado

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Kaby Lake doesn't really respond much to higher memory clock speeds:
http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/a...Lake-Core-i7-7700K-CPU-Review/6#axzz6s1yvnMIf
(the gaming test they did appeared to use the iGPU, which isn't relevant for your use case)

Although there are rare instances where faster memory does provide something more than say 2-3%, but again, it's a rare instance.

If the games you're playing are basically hammering the CPU, then it's the CPU causing the performance barrier.
Hi there and thanks for your reply, about what you just said, it's true that many games dosent care about the frequency, but somo others are indeed sensitive to this factor, and thats my main question is this the case? The rest i dont believe is the CPU, because when im playing rhe game, CPU usage sits arrond 45% to 55%, actually the main reason to buy this GPU was because when i was playing this game, the GPU usage by the task manager was at 95% to 99%, now.... With the 3060ti stay at 50%

Pertuado

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Hi
Motherboard Guide:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...RO/E18089_ROG_MAXIMUS_XIII_HERO_UM_V3_WEB.pdf

[Do verify that I found the correct manual.]

Supported memory specifications are listed on physically numbered Page vii.

Installation (DIMM Slots) information is on Page 1-5 and 1-6.

Read the User Guide and double check all physical installations and configuration settings.

PSU may be part of the problem. The new GPU and overall hardware configuration may be creating peak power demands that the PSU is unable to provide.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just one at a time) to observe system performance while the system is idling, light browsing, light gaming, heavy gaming.

Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.
And thanks for your reply, unfortunately i cant confirm what you just told me, because my motherboard is the "Asus maximus hero viii" socket 1151 not the ROG version, but for the rest, its true this gpu are hurry power, however... I never have sofer any kind of power loss or any unwanted shutdown, and for the rest, has i just said on my early post, the main reason for update my gpu was exactly for using the task manager, when i was playing this game the usage on the gpu was always between 95% to 99%... By this information, my guess was... If the gpu is at 100% of usage.... Well thats the reason why i dont get more fps

What game? Total cpu usage is fairly meaningless, you need to monitor all cores/threads. It can only take 1 thread at 100% to limit performance while the other threads and total cpu usage is lower.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
What huge improvements were you expecting: 70-100fps more?

One important thing you didn't mention...

Are you playing at 1080p, 1440p or 4K? Because at 1080p you won't see these huge (see above) improvements you might expect. In some cases you could get 50-60fps more, but on average, you'd be stuck around 30-40. You're still using the same old but reliable 7700K.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hi

And thanks for your reply, unfortunately i cant confirm what you just told me, because my motherboard is the "Asus maximus hero viii" socket 1151 not the ROG version, but for the rest, its true this gpu are hurry power, however... I never have sofer any kind of power loss or any unwanted shutdown, and for the rest, has i just said on my early post, the main reason for update my gpu was exactly for using the task manager, when i was playing this game the usage on the gpu was always between 95% to 99%... By this information, my guess was... If the gpu is at 100% of usage.... Well thats the reason why i dont get more fps

All the Maximus boards are Republic of Gamers, just the 'gamey' division of ASUS.

I bought 3000Mhz CL 15 with my 7700k, still going strong. Not the greatest performer today, but certainly not lacking in output.

Considering a lot of tasks aren't affected that much by memory speeds faster than DDR4-2400, the fastest the i7-7700K supports per Intel's spec sheet, we can infer that the i7-7700K doesn't receive much of a performance improvement in general. Those exceptions are just that, exceptions.

As far as CPU usage goes, it can be an unreliable indicator that there's "headroom." If a game doesn't scale very well with cores/threads, then it'll just peg one core/thread and that'll be it's limiting factor. Crysis is known for doing this. And if you're trying to push say 200+ FPS, a now four-year old CPU design isn't going to reach that in more modern titles.

Solution

Pertuado

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
What game? Total cpu usage is fairly meaningless, you need to monitor all cores/threads. It can only take 1 thread at 100% to limit performance while the other threads and total cpu usage is lower.

Soo the game in question is "tourist bus simulator" and i know there is some games that only uses one CPU, but in this i put in the taks manager to see all cores, and all 8 cores and all shows arround 45% to 55%, mayby one goes to 65% but nothing goes higher than this...

Pertuado

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
What huge improvements were you expecting: 70-100fps more?

One important thing you didn't mention...

Are you playing at 1080p, 1440p or 4K? Because at 1080p you won't see these huge (see above) improvements you might expect. In some cases you could get 50-60fps more, but on average, you'd be stuck around 30-40. You're still using the same old but reliable 7700K.

Hi there, and ofcourse i dint expect to get more 70 fps LOL, about your question, im using 1080P, and i know its getting old my CPU i plan to update this later when all get back to normal, or at list in work matters, but is what i have said before, with my 1060 i was getting bettween 25 to 40 fps, and in the task manager i was always seeing the 1060 at full usage... and cpu just sitting there arrond 50%, my deduction was clear, is the GPU the one who is getting stuck... but now... i dont know the only thing that i can see how much of total NB frequency is using the game, and... i read for the i7700k the sweet spot is 3200Mhz, but nothing to mention if this "sweet spot" is on dual channel or single

Pertuado

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
All the Maximus boards are Republic of Gamers, just the 'gamey' division of ASUS.

I bought 3000Mhz CL 15 with my 7700k, still going strong. Not the greatest performer today, but certainly not lacking in output.

Hi, and yes i know all are from ROG division, but if you see the manual you just send to me... the motherboard is an socket 1200. in any case, my consorn is, i buy this memory ... 16 GB at 3200Mhz and wont give any resut at all, than later for a new MB, basicly will be a little show... i dont know

Soo the game in question is "tourist bus simulator" and i know there is some games that only uses one CPU, but in this i put in the taks manager to see all cores, and all 8 cores and all shows arround 45% to 55%, mayby one goes to 65% but nothing goes higher than this...
Windows will shift threads around cores to spread the thermal load. I bet if you disable half those cores or set the process affinity of the program to use only 4 cores, you won't see much of a performance change.