[SOLVED] Can i've upgrade my Ryzen 3 3200g to Ryzen 7 3700X on Asus Prime a320m-k?

Jabux

Prominent
Jun 30, 2021
Hey guys i've got a question, like 1 year ago i've bought a new pc with ryzen 3 3200g and Asus prime a320m-k, and i've had an Gtx 1050ti, i've know it's "budget" but i'm from argentina and it's too expensive here.
i've was planning into upgrade my ryzen 3 3200g into a Ryzen 7 3700x, cause i've don't use the integrated graphics, but not sure if my Asus prime a320m-k will support it, i've know with the lastest bios updates it can, i've currently have "bios ver. 5409" on my Asus prime a320m-k, but my question is, i've will have temps problems or anything? VRM? I've wont overclock it. i've only have activated xmp profile on ram cause they are 3000Mhz and my mother was recognizing them at 2666mhz.
Thanks us and sorry for my bad english.

Btw forgot to say, my Psu is 600W 80 plus bronze

Solution
Ah, okey ty, and one last thing that i'm not sure, so if i've get an Ryzen 7 3700X on my 320m-k running at stock speeds that means i've can use it at 3.6 to 4.4 ghz? or somehow i've have to limit it at 3.6 ghz with a 320m mother? ? i've mean disable the "autoboost"? or stock means leave it at 3.6 to 4.4hz, but don't overclock higher then stock? ty
AM4 boards use three parameters (TDC, EDC and PPT) that can be set by the motherboard mfr. as needed to limit a CPU's boosting to protect the VRM. Overclocking with PBO entails changing those parameters, but you can not do that on an A320 board so you'll be safe. There's no need for you to do anything.

Actually, in any conventional sense you can not overclock a CPU on any A320...

Jabux

Prominent
Jun 30, 2021
I'm not sure what you mean by 'bottleneck', but even an RTX3080ti couldn't make a 3700X work hard with triple-A gaming. A 1050ti will be pushed to it's limits even with e-sports type gaming.
Ah, okey ty, and one last thing that i'm not sure, so if i've get an Ryzen 7 3700X on my 320m-k running at stock speeds that means i've can use it at 3.6 to 4.4 ghz? or somehow i've have to limit it at 3.6 ghz with a 320m mother? ? i've mean disable the "autoboost"? or stock means leave it at 3.6 to 4.4hz, but don't overclock higher then stock? ty

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Don't overthink this. Just leave the CPU at its default speed and let the system manage it's "autoboost". It will be okay.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
some folks confuse 'bottleneck my GPU' 'and 'be bottlenecked by my GPU'...

Likely any CPU R5-2600 and above will fully saturate a GTX1050 at 1080P, where faster CPUs will likely gain you little to nothing, but, that it is to be expected.
Hardware unboxed did this test.With higher gpu's you will see how strong the cpu is but as they moved slower to an rx 580.There were no difference between the 1600/2600/3600/5600.

AM4 boards use three parameters (TDC, EDC and PPT) that can be set by the motherboard mfr. as needed to limit a CPU's boosting to protect the VRM. Overclocking with PBO entails changing those parameters, but you can not do that on an A320 board so you'll be safe. There's no need for you to do anything.

Actually, in any conventional sense you can not overclock a CPU on any A320 motherboard. So it will run in it's spec operating range of 3.6 - 4.4Ghz based on processing load and temperature. It boosts only one core at a time to 4.4Ghz, although it quickly moves the boost to another core so it may appear to be hitting more cores at a time in monitoring utilities.

The majority of games leave a 3700x constantly boosting 4.35-4.4Ghz (one core at a time) when set up stock. That's because games only use one thread heavily, even those that are mult-threaded. That's why a 3600 or 3600x is equally as good as 3700x or even 3800x for most gaming.

If well cooled, in heavier work loads using more threads it will lower clocks to 4.2-4.3Ghz, or even as low as 4-4.1Ghz when really heavy work like AVX2 for rendering. 2nd and 3rd gen Ryzen CPU's are very much like GPU's as they are so thermally sensitive; they boost to their rated max clocks more eagerly and hold significantly higher mid-range clocks under load when adequately cooled. On stock cooling the boost clocks may drop as low as the rated minimum clocks of 3.6Ghz on sustained heavy all-core workload, especially if case ventilation is poor. But it's always doing this within the limits of the TDC, EDC and PPT parameters allowed by the board mfr so individual examples can vary, especially for low-spec motherboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexbirdie
Solution

TRENDING THREADS