Question Can keyboard usually withstand some slaps?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I had a lot of keyboards that ended up having one or two bad keys and then they were rendered useless. I sometimes slapped on the back of my keyboards in order to remove some of the dust and dirt under the keys. Was it the reason that the keys went bad? Or it wasn't related?

I had a lot of keyboards that ended up having one or two bad keys and then they were rendered useless. I sometimes slapped on the back of my keyboards in order to remove some of the dust and dirt under the keys. Was it the reason that the keys went bad? Or it wasn't related?
No idea about your keyboards.

I often turn mine over and tap it on the back.

The crud falls out and I have not seen a problem doing this.

It's a membrane keyboard. The way they work is there's a conductive path on the membrane that gets pressed down when you press the key. This closes the circuit. Since the membrane is just a cheap rubbery piece with a coating, it's easy to break it or get contaminants on the bottom side, preventing the contact closure.

$45 will get you a good mechanical keyboard. They are near impossible to break. But if you do, they are standardized pieces where you order 1 replacement for $1.00