[SOLVED] Can Keyboards Have Such A Big Difference On Typing?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
I Used To Use A Membrane iBall Keyboard. I Tried The Words Test And Got 52 WPM There. (Because Of A Lot Of Typing Practice).

I Bought A Semi Mechanical Keyboard From RedGear: The Redgear Grim Keyboard. This Has a Membrane But The Keys Look Mechanical.

I Tried The Typing Test And Got 32 WPM Only With It. I Was Quite Surprised.

Is This Keyboard Really That Bad?

Solution
I Used To Use A Membrane iBall Keyboard. I Tried The Words Test And Got 52 WPM There. (Because Of A Lot Of Typing Practice).

I Bought A Semi Mechanical Keyboard From RedGear: The Redgear Grim Keyboard. This Has a Membrane But The Keys Look Mechanical.

Yes the keyboard makes a difference, key depth, key pitch (distance between keys) and keycap curve, how much force it takes to activate the key, how far you need to press before the key is activated. It takes some time to get used to a keyboard, and there are a good number of differences that affect typing speed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't find any reviews of that new one (In English). It could just be a bad keyboard

Mechanical keyboards should have same speed as membrane

i don't like/trust products where only reviews I can find are on Amazon

better off buying something from Logitech. I used Logitech keyboards for years until i went mechanical with a razer, then back to Logitech with a mechanical, now Corsair K70 RGB

Last edited:

Yes the keyboard makes a difference, key depth, key pitch (distance between keys) and keycap curve, how much force it takes to activate the key, how far you need to press before the key is activated. It takes some time to get used to a keyboard, and there are a good number of differences that affect typing speed.

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan
Oh yeah. After using different mechanical keyboards from Kingston and Corsair, there's no way I'll ever go back to a membrane based keyboard. In fact I find membrane keyboards harder to type on now because I'm so used to full sized, spaced out keyboards.

I currently have a Kingston Hyper X Alloy Elite and this is an amazing keyboard.

Last edited: