Question Can laptop be unusable after taking all components apart and leaving it all in a box disassembled?

Krasen

Honorable
Jul 18, 2015
Planning on totally disassembling my laptop(all ribbon cables out, plugs, etc.) and leaving the components in a box for the course of about 6 months.

Will this damage any of the components?

Does the motherboard require small amounts of power for memory?

I will disconnect CMOS battery as well.

Will the laptop work just fine after putting it together after 6 months?

kanewolf

Titan
Planning on totally disassembling my laptop(all ribbon cables out, plugs, etc.) and leaving the components in a box for the course of about 6 months.

This sounds like a bad idea. The probability that you remember the correct steps to reassemble after six months is low, IMO. If you want data security, remove the storage and lock it up. There is no reason I can think of to completely disassemble a laptop.

USAFRet

Titan

Why?

Krasen

Honorable
Jul 18, 2015
This sounds like a bad idea. The probability that you remember the correct steps to reassemble after six months is low, IMO. If you want data security, remove the storage and lock it up. There is no reason I can think of to completely disassemble a laptop.

I will take pictures of things before. Reassembly is not a problem.

I think this is a bad idea, is there a specific reason you want to do this?

However if you must proceed on this crazy quest, having dissembled and rebuilt my own laptop (spilt Pepsi on it) I'd highly recommend you take pictures as you do it to refer back to and label all the screws, they are unlikely to be all of equal length so you don't want to damage anything by putting them in the wrong place.

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020

Hello, Why do want to do this? Are you doing an experiment of trying to build of laptop after about a half of a year? But most likely yes the laptop should work fine. In fact I have a laptop that I did not use for couple months and when I plugged it in to charge it and used it, the laptop worked perfectly fine. Tip: make sure to charge the battery to about 50% before doing that experiment. Please label ALL the screws and ribbon cables and take lots of pictures of the laptop! Furthermore store these parts in a safe place, and in room temperature. Have fun with the experiment! Hope you found that useful!

Krasen

Honorable
Jul 18, 2015
Hello, Why do want to do this? Are you doing an experiment of trying to build of laptop after about a half of a year? But most likely yes the laptop should work fine. In fact I have a laptop that I did not use for couple months and when I plugged it in to charge it and used it, the laptop worked perfectly fine. Tip: make sure to charge the battery to about 50% before doing that experiment. Please label ALL the screws and ribbon cables and take lots of pictures of the laptop! Furthermore store these parts in a safe place, and in room temperature. Have fun with the experiment! Hope you found that useful!

Yes it is sort of for an experiment. Ive noticed laptops and phones have a certain effect on my mind. Ive noticed that taking them apart negates all effects they have on me, i feel more free and at ease.