Can Lucidlogix Right Sandy Bridge’s Wrongs? Virtu, Previewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I'm pretty sure that Fusion only works with AMD parts, but the idea whould be the same. Anybody else remember this company's ads on the side of some of Tom's articles?

G

I suppose a multi-monitor setup, main screen for gaming on the discrete card (assuming game only uses that one screen), secondary on the Z68 Output of the Intel HD card, will not have any need for this, and just run perfectly.

Thats how i will roll, once Z68 gets out.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
seems like we are heading to what voodoo graphics and TV tuners were doing long long time ago. just now over the PCIe bus.

I wonder why it's so difficult to map framebuffers and create virtual screens ?

RobinPanties

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
This sounds like software technology that should be built straight into OS's, instead of added as separate layers... maybe OS manufacturer's need to wake up (*cough* Microsoft)

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
This is another absolutely useless piece of crap. Why in the world would you put deal with another stupid layer and why would you use Intel integrated graphic chip (or any integrated solution) along with your dedicated video card???

Conclusion of this article is...don't go with such nonsense solution.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
(unrelated to article)
Dear Tom's,
your pull down menu for page navigation sucks. I mean it really really sucks. I am so annoyed that it makes me want to stop reading the articles. It is the worst design of any webpage. I use IE, Firefox, and Chrome. It's very hard to jump through pages using the pull down menu. Please fix the style of it.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Again Intel and AMD move to integrate graphic chip into CPU is good for mobile useless for anything else. It is far from being smart solution for desktops unless they can pack GTX580 capable card into....mmmm i don't think so.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I've been asking for using the integrated GPU for GPGPU purposes, and the discrete for gaming for a year now.
It seems like we're slowly getting there.
I'd like to run PhysX, but why not on the HD 3000 instead of a second $200 card, requiring a more meaty power supply, better cooling etc.?

G

Who needs this ? Mobile users can use Optimus, as part of native NVidia drivers. And for desktops, why do I need this at all ?

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I wished the intel graphics could be used for most desktop activities, and the discrete card as main monitor connector for games, using a dual monitor setup.
It's a much easier, and much better approach!

Play games on the discrete, while your desktop is showing on the other monitor.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]sblantipodi[/nom]Why care about quick sync when you have a discrete GPU?[/citation]

Because the discrete GPU can't do what Quick Sync does :)

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Because the discrete GPU can't do what Quick Sync does[/citation]

Because you're not looking for the same thing. Generally speaking, discrete GPUs are marketed for gaming and the rendering/converting and the little thingies that quick sync offers are not a priority and are pretty far down the list.

It is an interesting and certainly worthwhile tech for those who feel they need it whether professionally or out of daily routine -- or for others to show how awesome they are in certain benchmarks-- but for the majority of people it just doesn't matter all that much.

More thunderbolt please.

G

@Travis Beane

not completely sure, but i hazard that nVidia aint going be licensing their tech to AMD or Intel

siliconchampion

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Why care about quick sync when you have a discrete GPU?

Because Quick Sync is several times faster than Discrete GPU transcoding methods right now. What I would like to see is improvements made to CUDA, and especially APP.

Status
Not open for further replies.