Question Can m.2 drive be the cause of no response?

Pallidyn

Commendable
Sep 28, 2020
So I switched platform from and A520i UD to an ASUS Strix ROG B550i. I swapped everything over, and I put my boot drive (1TB Samsung Gen 3) into the slot on the back of the MOBO, because that's the PCIe gen 3 slot. I have a Gen 4 m.2 on the way, so I figured that I would just add that one to the front slot when it got here.

Well, I push the power button and nothing happens. Go through the standard Flash BIOS, clear CMOS, bridge the Fpanel pins. Nothing. So I reseat the GPU and RAM, check the CPU mounting, check all my connections. Everything is installed as the PC gods intended. So after a while, I moved the m.2 drive from the back slot to the front one.

Holy crap, it booted right up! So once I get into the system, I run CinebenchR23 for 30 minutes, then 3d Mark to test stability. No problem. Played about 2 hours of FF14, smooth as butter without hitches. By the time I thought I had this sorted out, it was about 3 in the morning. So, I win+L the PC and go to sleep.

When I woke up, the screen was on. It looked like it was zoomed into my background. The mouse moved, but the only thing it did was give me the error sound when I clicked and no response . The power button didn't hard reset it, so I turned it off on the PSU. Now, the power button does nothing again. bridging the pins once again is unresponsive. I can't get into the BIOS to change anything, and the drive is still installed in the front slot.

This is a drive that I have been using for about a year, and I checked the SMART when it booted the first time; it's fine. All the other parts are tested and work. They were in a previous system. The only thing that is different is the MOBO, but I know that it works because it removed it from a working system to put it in this one. The lights come on and I can hear my speakers kick on through USB, so there is power going to the system, but attempts to power it do nothing. There were no power outages and my system is attached to UPS.

Here is my system list:
Ryzen 5 5600x
ASUS Strix B550i
Powercolor 6700xt Hellhound
Phanteks Revolt 1200w PSU
GSkill Flare 32GB 3200mhz CL 16 x2 sticks
1 TB Samsung M.2 Gen 3

Your help is appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
So I switched platform from and A520i UD to an ASUS Strix ROG B550i. I swapped everything over, and I put my boot drive (1TB Samsung Gen 3) into the slot on the back of the MOBO, because that's the PCIe gen 3 slot. I have a Gen 4 m.2 on the way, so I figured that I would just add that one to the front slot when it got here.
So you didn't reinstall your OS after the migration? If not, that's your issue. You change motherboard's, you reinstall the OS.

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Changing the motherboard is effectively changing the PC as far as the OS is concerned. If you didn't do anything like update drivers, you might run into spurious issues. You could try updating the drivers, otherwise the OS may need reinstalling just to make sure it's working with a clean slate.