[SOLVED] Can MacBooks support Linux?

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
I have a MacBook Pro from October 2011.

It is getting increasingly difficult to get the functionality out of it that I got when it was new.

Instead of buying a new laptop, I was thinking about trying to install Linux on it as I can't upgrade the OS or Safari.

Unless there is a work around to get a more current OS on it, which would allow me to upgrade Safari too.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Dom

Solution
The first part is creating an installation drive. Normally you'd do this to a flash drive.

Then you boot off the installation drive. To install Catalina to a HDD or SSD. That will be your boot drive.

I'd recommend an SSD. As a HDD will be horribly slow with Catalina.
It's generally considered safe. As in none of the old hardware enthusiasts using it. Have found anything malicious in the software.

Given that it's a third party hack that requires disabling SIP. Plus there are no more firmware updates on unsupported Macs. You'll be open to more security holes than a modern Mac. But given the OS is still being patched by Apple. It should be more secure than running an older totally unsupported macOS.

Reactions: Dom46

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
It's generally considered safe. As in none of the old hardware enthusiasts using it. Have found anything malicious in the software.

Given that it's a third party hack that requires disabling SIP. Plus there are no more firmware updates on unsupported Macs. You'll be open to more security holes than a modern Mac. But given the OS is still being patched by Apple. It should be more secure than running an older totally unsupported macOS.

I watched the tutorial on the site. While the install seems straight forward, it still seems a bit tedious.

I'll have to prepare and do a complete backup of my hard drive. In fact, I'm thinking it may be wise to do an install on the original 500GB SATA that was part of the original configuration as a test.

The tutorial suggests installing to an external drive. But is that where the install files of Catalina are being placed or am I now booting to the external drive where Catalina is located?

The first part is creating an installation drive. Normally you'd do this to a flash drive.

Then you boot off the installation drive. To install Catalina to a HDD or SSD. That will be your boot drive.

Reactions: Dom46
Solution

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019

I'm going to give it a try. I'll post to the thread when I'm done.