Can maxing the core voltage of my gpu damage its performance?

G

Can maxing the core voltage of my graphics card damage its performance or does it only damage the lifespan of the card?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Sort of. High voltage means high heat, and if you don't get it cooled then the GPU will throttle or cause a crash.

Higher voltage in an integrated circuit will reduce the lifespan as well as that of the power circuitry. Depends on how often you replace your GPU if it will really matter. If you plan on more then a few years you probably shouldn't be looking at overclocking.

G

My fps drops for no reason sometimes. I'm not sure if it's the game or the actual gpu. Max core voltage is 87 and the mV is 1243 on max voltage

I have a similar, but slightly lower spec EVGA 970 card I've been messing with at school. That voltage is OK for me, and my card has the reference cooler. What games do you notice the FPS drop, and is it situational, or random?

I would not want to go over 1.25V, however. That's my limit for Maxwell.

G

The FPS drop, it's situational and random at times. Also, do you mean I should just max the core voltage because the voltage monitor said 1.243mV and that is below 1.25V

You have reached about the maximum I would want to go with a Maxwell. You could try 1.25V. You can push the temperature to 85C or more in intense action for moderate periods.

I'm not convinced that the problem is with your GPU anyway. What's the rest of your system (CPU, motherboard, RAM, and PSU, in particular)?

G

I guess some scenes in the game just takes a lot of graphics power which causes the drops and it drops in CS:GO, Garry's Mod, and a few other games.