Can Molex to 4 Pin Adapter do the same job of 4 Pin connector ?

Karim_Eka18

Reputable
Feb 24, 2017
Can a Molex to 4 pin Adapter do the same job as the 4 pin main connector on Mobos that use only 4 Pin connector ?

Assume that Replacing the PSU or using a 4 Pin extension is not an option for such case

Solution
You will need to measure how long you need and check cable length charts to see what models available to you have long enough ones.

Cases with bottom-mount PSUs do limit your PSU options quite a bit if you don't want to use extension cables. Many years ago when my C2D's PSU failed, the local PC parts shop had only one PSU with long enough cables for my case and motherboard combination if I wanted to run the ATX12V cable behind the motherboard tray and I had to unscrew the PSU to get the 1/4" of extra slack I needed to plug it in.

InvalidError

Titan
If you mean 4pin "main connector" as the +4 pins on the 24 pin connector, those extra pins are optional. If you meant as a replacement for the ATX12V connector, each 'molex' connector has only one 12V line each capable of carrying about 5A max, so you'd need a molex-to-ATX12V adapter which has two molex connectors connected to separate wires directly to the PSU to safely pass the 8-10A modern CPUs require.

It will work assuming the PSU has sufficient total output on the 12V rail, but isn't recommended. I've done a similar hack to fit an old ATX PSU that didn't have an ATX12V cable into an old P4, simply cut the ATX12V from the P4's original blown-up PSU and spliced it into the other PSU's wiring.

Karim_Eka18

Reputable
Feb 24, 2017
@ InvalidError ... i didnt mean the 4 pin on the 24 pin connector :D i was talking about the other cpu 4 pin connector at the top left of the mobo looks like it have to be a 4 pin + 2 separate molex for it to work out right ?

and one final question would a quality psu made by seasonic , xfx .. etc have cables with enough length for bottom mounted pc cases .. e.g NZXT Source 210 ?

InvalidError

Titan
You will need to measure how long you need and check cable length charts to see what models available to you have long enough ones.

Cases with bottom-mount PSUs do limit your PSU options quite a bit if you don't want to use extension cables. Many years ago when my C2D's PSU failed, the local PC parts shop had only one PSU with long enough cables for my case and motherboard combination if I wanted to run the ATX12V cable behind the motherboard tray and I had to unscrew the PSU to get the 1/4" of extra slack I needed to plug it in.

Solution